• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Has this ever happened to anyone?

cheesefrysamurai

So a few weeks ago my sensei told me that he felt i was ready for a promotion. He explained that he doesn't take giving rank lightly but he feels I am ready.

I went today for my test. He called out the techniques, I did well. He recognized that my kata improved.

He asked me about some techniques I learned in my previous school, we went through some of those. It seemed it went well.

He said "ok thats it" and "you did great"

He disappeared into the dressing / supply room. I waited with my gi top on talking. He came out changed into street clothes. I then changed, we exchanged some chatter and then it was "see you tuesday"

Honestly I expected him to come out with a belt or something. It wasn't addressed. I feel weird.

At my last school, a belt or even a tip was almost like a tiny ceremony. I would be knelt down in seiza in front of him in the same position. Sensei says a few words, hands the belt, then i would bow to the right as he bows to his, then I bow to my left as he bows to his left.

Maybe i am overthinking it? Maybe he just didnt have the belt? maybe he is waiting for a regular class?

what do you guys (and gals) think

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
So a few weeks ago my sensei told me that he felt i was ready for a promotion. He explained that he doesn't take giving rank lightly but he feels I am ready.

I went today for my test. He called out the techniques, I did well. He recognized that my kata improved.

He asked me about some techniques I learned in my previous school, we went through some of those. It seemed it went well.

He disappeared into the dressing / supply room. I waited with my gi top on talking. He came out changed into street clothes. I then changed, we exchanged some chatter and then it was "see you tuesday"

Honestly I expected him to come out with a belt or something. It wasn't addressed. I feel weird.

At my last school, a belt or even a tip was almost like a tiny ceremony. I would be knelt down in seiza in front of him in the same position. Sensei says a few words, hands the belt, then i would bow to the right as he bows to his, then I bow to my left as he bows to his left.

Maybe i am overthinking it? Maybe he just didnt have the belt? maybe he is waiting for a regular class?

what do you guys (and gals) think

Do you think this could be part of your test?

Maybe your sensei is testing your humility? If he thinks that you have "assumed" you are good enough, he might consider making you wait a little.

Either that or thats just the way he does it in his group. He may decide to award you it at the start of your next keiko.

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

I wouldn't worry too much. Wait to see how it goes on Tuesday. He may just not have the belt and will have to go buy it. My instructor often presents belts in the next class you were in and not on testing day.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Some instructors don't see much point in ceremony when it comes to belt ranks--especially lower ranks. From the instructor's point of view, they are testing you every single day. They see how you progress from day one, and they know when you are ready to be grouped with the rank above the one you are currently at. The test is often a formality, because they already know you can pass it, and ceremony only makes sense if there is a collection of people to witness it.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I wouldn't stress it. Some schools just don't put that much emphasis on rankings. IT varies so much from school to school it's hard to tell.

I wouldn't worry about it at all because when you start worrying about that, then you start imagining things that aren't correct and helpful.

At our yearly testing cycle held every June/July at the Hombu, all testing results are posted at the entrance of the Hombu's main dojo on the very last day, always a Sunday. Our testing cycle's duration lasts 2 weeks, and all testing is completed by the last Friday.

Then, at noon Sunday, all testing candidates that have passed are gathered in the Hombu's main dojo for our quite simple Promotions Ceremony. It is then they receive their new rank and/or certificate; not everyone receives a certificate because the Hombu doesn't award certificates to students earning 9th kyu thru 6th kyu. Sunday night, we hold a banquet for everyone, and that's when, if any, special promotions are conducted for those who are receiving any Shogo title and the like.

So, patience is a virtue. Even though waiting patiently isn't good for ones nerves and/or fingernails.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Can't say I have heard of that before. But it may be part of your test, or like many have said, it may be he is just waiting to do a larger group if he has more he is going to promote. Either way, if he said you did well, take the compliment and keep trying to learn and do your best. It will do no good to get a resentment.

Blue belt -Isshin Ryu

I'd say you did well :-)

Congratulations!

Go buy a new belt, unless the is a tradition in school to give out belts like in BJJ. I don't think it's so common in karate classes.