• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

unshu

ronryu

I recently learned this kata and as im sure most of you who know it may have had the same problem . How do you do the big jump turn . I enjoy the kata but that one move is giving me alot of trouble .

Karate is not a sport , it is a way of life .

Sandan Motobu ha Shi-to ryu karate

Katsu ryu kempo

Ryukyu kobudo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

any and all suggestions are welcome i dont think there is much differance between the shi to ryu version and the shotokan version.

Im trying to jump off thefroont leg but haveing proablems getting around to land straight .

Karate is not a sport , it is a way of life .

Sandan Motobu ha Shi-to ryu karate

Katsu ryu kempo

Ryukyu kobudo

Embarrassed myself horribly tonight doing Unsu! :)

Anyway, in order to facilitate the complete spin, I try to turn my head forcefully first. I don't have the probelm of not getting all the way round, instead I tend to "overspin." Best of luck!

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

• 1 year later...

In my dojo, the black belt has the same problem, so my sensei is making him do the jump in the ground(without jumping) im guessing he will make him jump later on.

Shito Ryu (3rd kyu) RETIRED - 2002-2003

Now studying BJJ(2006)

Ive been doing Shotkan for 11 years and have yet to learn it. That jump is going to be a trick. Unsu is a very advanced kata and IMO is prob the most difficult Shotokan has to offer. Best of luck.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Unsu is a very tricky kata. Try practicing each part of the jump as a separate component before putting it together (eg the turn without jumping, the jump without turning, the hand position without the jump or the turn,) then try slowly fitting them together.

When I initially started learning Unsu I found that the quicker I jumped, the better it was. For me, trying to do it too slowly put me off balance and I would end up with a skewed landing.

The best advice I can give is practice... Unsu is an exceptionally difficult kata and it requires a lot of practice to get it right.

Good luck with it!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!