• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Going for Yellow

I guess I'm going up for my yellow belt in Judo in a few weeks. I originally thought I wouldn't be testing this time around, but my instructors gave me the test packet last night and told me to start studying. I personally don't really feel ready. When I look at the yellow belts I feel like they're worlds ahead of me, but it may just be because pretty much all of them are very close to being orange belts, so I don't know. It's funny how much bigger the step from white to yellow looks from a white belt's prospective. In my Isshinryu class with my brown belt on, it looks like such a small, insignificant step. But from this prospective, it looks like this huge divide to cross. Funny how being in different positions can change how we see things so much.

I mean, if the instructors feel I'm ready, who am I to argue. I'll just miss being a white belt with no expectations who can just learn and not worry about living up to a piece of cloth around my waist. I'd stay a white belt for years if I could, but in a competitive sport like Judo, you can't do that fairly.

So yeah, I'll be working on stuff more pointedly the next few weeks in preparation. This is actually my first ever belt test since my Isshinryu class doesn't have tests except for Shodan. I'm good at taking tests, so I'm not the least bit worried about the written part, but I'm more nervous about the technique demonstrations. If I don't feel I'm ready for the test, I guess I have to step up and make myself ready. Youtube will be my friend. It just stinks that Judo's the kind of thing you can't practice very well outside of class. You need at least a partner who's trained in ukemi and some mats.

So anyway-- it's a few weeks away. I'll keep you guys updated. Any advice would be appreciated.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I remember being quite proud of myself when I passed my yellow belt test in judo, but I also wasn't nervous about it until I stepped on the mat :P. If they are having you test, then you know all the material--the real trick is connecting the Japanese terms to the techniques! I remember training with a guy who was really good, but it took him a very, very long time to get promoted in rank because the instructor would call out the technique to demonstrate and he would do the wrong one because he didn't memorize the names.

Good luck on your test! I look forward to hearing how it goes--and maybe you can get someone to record it for you!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Yellow belt. I vaguely remember mine.

Good luck...relax...let the testing cycle take care of itself. You'll be greater than rain.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Thanks, guys! I'm working on it-- I've got the 45 or so Japanese terms I have to learn down pat and I'm working on the things like footwork that I can work on on my own.

I have to say, this whole process is turning me into a fan of rank testing. I've said before my Isshinryu school doesn't do tests except for Shodan, so this will be my first ever rank test. For me, at least, it's producing a much greater sense of accomplishment and satisfaction than I ever got when receiving an Isshinryu belt (I am proud of what I've learned and accomplished in Isshinryu, but receiving each individual belt was more of an arbitrary thing). When I go through all the stuff for my test it's like "wow! Look at all this stuff I can do now that I couldn't do four months ago!". And there's something about preparing for it and then having to perform under pressure and living up to set national standards that just makes it feel more tangible. I didn't use to be a huge fan of rank testing, but now I'm sold. And I haven't even taken my test yet! Watch me fail, haha. (I'd be fine with that-- just try again next time. Like I said, I wouldn't mind staying a white belt for a little longer)

WARNING: Bad comparison coming...

Imagine your about to go in for surgery. You're nervous. You're a little scared. Seconds turn into hours. Your nurse walks into your room to assist in wheeling you into surgery. You're now at the entrance doors leading into surgery...your nurse leans down...and with not a care in her voice she says...

Your doctor was never tested ever while he was in med-school!!

I'd be bolting!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!