• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question(s) for all

State the type of fighting style(s) you have learned. Have you ever used it to defend yourself? If so, what was the outcome? :karate: p.s my mistake. I posted this question in general martial arts, but I think it belongs under self defense...

“When another person makes you suffer, it is because he suffers deeply within himself, and his suffering is spilling over. He does not need punishment; he needs help. That's the message he is sending.” - Thich Nhat Hanh

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I train Capoeira Angola. It's been very useful when walking on the ice, but I haven't had anyone try to fight me in many years. I've become very inoffensive, oftentimes because of the things i've learned about how to not go whacking the hornets nest, and I like it that way.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Karate, Wing Chun, Karate, Jiu Jitsu, Karate, Kobudo, Karate.

Thankfully I've only had to defend myself in a real situation once, used my breath to invoke enough energy to punch and strike my way to survival. I'm alive because of my training.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

The style that I do is Shotokan karate do

I haven't used it yet because i was never been in a fight but when the day comes and somebody want to fight ill used it

I love Shotokan Karate Do and American Kenpo Karate

I currently train in Kyokushin Karate and Judo. In the past, I have trained in boxing, Goju Ryu, Muay Thai, and Japanese Jujutsu.

I work in law enforcement so I have been in quite a few scuffles in my day. As for whether it works, I'm still here in mostly one piece. So far, so good.

I've studied Isshinryu on and off since I was 8 and just started Judo.

Haven't used Judo yet, but I've used karate for a few very small things-- mostly fighting with my siblings growing up (I've never struck any of them-- it was almost all just grip breaks to get away when they've grabbed me). I also instinctively turned into cat stance and side blocked a friend who tried to jab me in the side with his finger once (we were having a poke war...). I didn't even realize it might be considered a weird thing to do until he jumped back, threw his hands up and yelled "WOAH! WOAH!". So I've never had to seriously defend myself, but it's come in handy to stop people from grabbing/touching me when I didn't want them to.

• 2 weeks later...

Kyokushin, MuayThai/Kickboxing, Judo and Arnis.

Definitely assisted in some sticky situations over the years, but more over, I think that the de-escalation techniques I've learnt have helped more than anything.

Being able to punch someone "correctly" is a skill, but nothing compared to being able to walk away home to my loved ones without blood on my fists (mine or otherwise).

The more I have (and continue to) learn about violence, the less I want it to be a part of my life.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

I've used a smattering of lots of stuff I've trained in over the years in the altercations that I've been part of due to my law enforcement career. I've utilized stand up aspects from my karate background. Mainly small joint manipulation.

What has been highly useful is my jiu jitsu, however. It might not be actual truth that 90 percent of fights end up on the ground. But I can say that 100 percent of every real, work fight that I've been part of has ended up there. The ability to takedown, move to a dominant position, and control is incredibly useful.

I learn Kimura Shukokai Karate.

Never had to use it in a real fight up to now.

Cheers

TP

1st Dan:

It's not the top but just the point where you start to understand the true size of what you're doing.