• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone have a good Goju glossary

cheesefrysamurai

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Does anyone have a glossary or link to a glossary for Okinawan Goju Ryu?

Thanks in advance

Is there anything that you are looking for specifically? While there is a great amount of commonality in terminology, there is still a fair amount that may by Kan, Dojo or lineage specific.

What lineage of Oki Goju do you train?

Chris

Chris

Honestly I don't know. When I was looking for a dojo, i found tons. I didnt like the way the others looked. I found my current dojo, i looked into the sensei who is from Staten Island New York and his sensei is very well respected and that dojo has been there over 40 years.

I know he went to train in Japan with Eiichi Miyazato Sensei in his Jundokan dojo

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

Honestly I don't know. When I was looking for a dojo, i found tons. I didnt like the way the others looked. I found my current dojo, i looked into the sensei who is from Staten Island New York and his sensei is very well respected and that dojo has been there over 40 years.

I know he went to train in Japan with Eiichi Miyazato Sensei in his Jundokan dojo

Maybe start here...

http://www.sijundokan.com/student_manual_4.php

As you are training Jundokan/Miyazato lineage, I would also suggest that you look for terminology lists for IOGKF.

Good luck,

Chris

Chris

IOGKF is Morio Higoanna's organisation that split away from Miyazoto's Jindokan. I read that there was some bad blood between them.

The dojo i train with are a similar lineage one of my sensei's swears buy these books :"Traditional Karate-Do: Okinawa Goju Ryu, Vol. 1: The Fundamental Techniques" by Higaonna Sensei.

There are four volumes all words, kata and strikes are in them, also check out him on You Tube all the kata are on video there too.

I bought the books from ebay as they are not in print anymore cost me about £200 over the last two years but they are worth it.

Hope this helps ;-)

Be like water !

• 3 months later...