• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How often do you practice Kata?

cheesefrysamurai

As the title of this topic reads...

How often do you practice Kata?

One movement at a time; slowly and deliberate so as to analyze its applications each and everyday.

:)

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I try to do at least one kata for each of my Arts every day. In 16 months, I have only missed four days. Since the start of 2013, I have done kata every day.

I do at least one Shotokan kata and four but often 10 Iaido katas every day.

Doug

Shodan, Shotokan Karate & 1st Kyu, Iaido

ShotokanMaster.com

ShotokanPlanet.org

A lot. Mainly Heian Yondan in recent times.

"It's not the style that's important, it's the practitioner. No style is superior to the other if you practice and train hard, ANY style can be effective."

- Me!!!!!!!

I'm learning the Shukokai Pinan Yondan now. I think it's the best so far in this style.

Could you please extrapolate a little.

I practice/train the Pinan's primarily, with the Heian's secondarily, but I've always gotten a personal kick out of the vast similarities there are between the Heian's and the Pinan's.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I like the Haishu uke at the start, the Bunkai shows that the gedan cosa te that follows is no kick block but a wrist lock take down. There is a neck break after the first empi uchi and the elbow joint break before the next mae geri is really cool. Remember to protect your radial pressure point in each of the chudan uke, then also the double empi uchi after tearing off the opponent's ears (!), a good shuto uke to finish and you are done. I think it's a great Kata.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

How often do I practice? Daily. I can run the Naihanchis in the men's room at work. And Bassai and Kanku dai in chunks. Ran those five right after my run yesterday. Being out of breath can really change how kata end up feeling during their performance.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I know all 26 Shotokan Kata and work mostly on Nijushiho, Meikyo and Kanku Dai. I run through all 26 on Thursday nights at the Dojo and every other Saturday when I teach at a juniors club to help out.

However, I am also learning Goju Kata for fun...Yes, No life! And while I do my three main focus Shotokan Katas every day at home (except Mondays which I run in the morning and take the night off....and often still go through Kata out of habit), I have been working on the first two Kata of Goju, the Geikisai Katas......very interesting to see how other styles develop.

I think Kata and Kihon are very important in training. While I think this...I love Kumite and Kumite Drills like Ippon kumite ext.

Even monkeys fall from trees