• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Matsubayashi Ryu, anybody ever use it in real life?

Bruce001

Greetings one and all,

I'm new to the board and new to Matsubayashi Ryu.

I love the katas! I am enjoying drinking deeply of this art. While my interest in karate is less than lethal, I am curious to know if anyone has actually used Matsubayashi Ryu successfully (or not) on the street.

Self-defense is not my primary concern in studying karate. I tend to view karate practice like yoga (with a lot more screaming). Nevertheless, it seems as if one must be able to fight with this art in order to truly understand it. I would love to be able to contemplate other people's experiences.

Many thanks!

Bruce

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've used it every day of my life since I started it. Whether that be the increased awareness, mental robustness or physical traits I have developed.

It's enabled me to excel in a variety of areas of life, including my job and time in the military. As for uses for self-defence, it has on numerous occasions allowed me to de-escalate a situation, or avoid it.

I have only been in a couple of what I would even consider 'fights' and it has proved to be there when I needed it.

I hope you enjoy your study of Matsubayashi-ryu - what country are you practicing in, or if you are willing to say, what area - good chance I know your instructor if they are still connected to Okinawa/under the WMKA.

Reece Cummings

Kodokan Cummings Karate Dojo

5th Dan, Matsubayashiryu (Shorinryu) Karatedo Kobujutsu

1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo

I've used it every day of my life since I started it... It's enabled me to excel in a variety of areas of life, including my job and time in the military.

RJCKarate,

I'm finding this to be true as well. It's a pleasant surprise! I was not expecting my productivity at work, or around the house for that matter, to rise as a result of my training. It is! That fact has taken me completely off guard.

• 2 years later...

Not sure if you're going to see this, but I fell madly in love with Matsubayashi Ryu. I originally learned under Sensei Jerry Figgiani in New York and he is simply the BEST! I know, we all have the best instructor, but still. I have gotten in two fights since, one when I was in high school going into gym class. He swung, I blocked and threw him to the ground. No striking on my part was necessary. The second time I was drinking and lost my temper on my sisters now ex boyfriend, he was a horrible person. Came out without a scratch on me, but I don't count that as using Karatedo, as "there is no first strike in Karate."

I moved away and now practice Chito Ryu. I still practice the Matsubayashi Kata's I learned in NY because I simply love it. If I could, I'd go back to NY and pick up Matsubayashi Ryu again in a heart beat.

I've used it in a SD situation maybe 8-10 times. Some were in defense of myself, but most were in defense of others.

Whether skill, or luck, none of the attackers landed a blow on myself, and I either defeated them, or disuaded them into pursuing more aggression towards myself, or others.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.