• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pressure point karate?

xo-karate

Please be very careful about believing what you see on the web because compliant actions make 'it' appear valid when in actuality, it's not. Approach it with kid gloves, so to speak.

Unless and until I feel its effectiveness for myself, I doubt its validity for myself.

:)

Ditto

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kaj got his 7 dan from George A. Dillman. website is not very good http://www.kyushoaikijutsu.com/eng/etusivu/

I'll try some pressure point in my BJJ and we'll see if it's working. (Just need to make sure how firm my contact in breaking grips is aloud to be. - Kind of when it's blocking with a hit and when just dropping my arm as a "fast" push...)

I highly recommend researching Dillman's history and claims.

With pressure points in grappling, they can be useful against some people, although since BJJ doesn't allow striking, for the most part, you are a bit limited. I routinely use the pressure points of the calf, inner thigh, ribcage, and neck during grappling. They aren't fight-finishers that are going to make your partner tap out, but they do help get them to move where you want them and create openings.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

"George Dillman is a martial arts instructor and member of Black Belt magazine's Hall of Fame (1997)" for wikipedia. Look like Dillman has done something right. (And looks like he might have a fixation for no touch knockout:-) Ok - so he is a little extrovert, but has a long history in Martial Arts. I don't know id name dropping like Ali is good...

If he has not "lost it", looking at his history, I'd say he know a lot about pressure points.

Can't find him on any Hall of Fame list?

And that's a huge if because it appears to me that George have indeed lost his mind. I've seen similar occurrences with some Aikido instructors. Basically their students have been "conditioned" with pain. Consequently they over react to a technique. And the instructor suddenly develops these telepathic attacks. Or they believed they did.

There is another guy who used to work with Dillman on pressure point striking. Can't remember his name. Has a beard and wears glasses. He seems to know a lot more about the subject than Dillman. But unfortunately for him, he was not as much a showman as Dillman who somehow is thought of by many to have invented Pressure point striking.

Anyways the other guy (beard and glasses) seems to actually know what he's talking about. Someone look him up on Youtube and get a name.

I think of pressure points as bonus points. If you get to them, and get the desired result, then great. But I won't plan an entire set of techniques or a strategy around nailing a pressure point. They are too easy to miss most times, and yield too little results.

On a slight aside, please be careful using pressure points as part of your roll doing BJJ.

It's not an accepted part of the art and will really irritate people that you're rolling with if you go to start trying them during the roll. It's perceived as disrespectful and being rude.

If you're in a study group of your own and everyone is on board with inculusion, it's a bit of a different story. However, in normal practice it's a bit of a no-no.

Yes, they can cause discomfort. Yes, they will cause your partner to move. However, the element of body control is so highly stressed in BJJ and positions so solid at high levels, they rarely effect change in high-level rolling. If you are on the good side this control, there's no need to use them, you can utilize any of the accepted attacking methods from BJJ itself very successfully. If you are on the inferior side of this position, then you're not in a good enough position to make them useful. Your leverage is minimal and you are in a much better position be hurt than do hurting.

That said, as in all things, experiment and find what's working for you. Just don't do it in normal open mat situations.

"George Dillman is a martial arts instructor and member of Black Belt magazine's Hall of Fame (1997)" for wikipedia. Look like Dillman has done something right. (And looks like he might have a fixation for no touch knockout:-) Ok - so he is a little extrovert, but has a long history in Martial Arts. I don't know id name dropping like Ali is good...

If he has not "lost it", looking at his history, I'd say he know a lot about pressure points.

Can't find him on any Hall of Fame list?

Mr. Dillman use to be considered one of the tops in the Kyusho jitsu field, but, somewhere, he took a left when he should have took a right; his spoken words are less dependable nowadays.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

If you're in a study group of your own and everyone is on board with inculusion, it's a bit of a different story. However, in normal practice it's a bit of a no-no.

That said, as in all things, experiment and find what's working for you. Just don't do it in normal open mat situations.

Thank tallgeese, I kind of came to the same conclusion. In regular rolling I'm not sticking my elbow out or pushing my knee in the manner to cause pain - we should I try pressure points for the same reason.

I attended a Dillman seminar in Chicago about 9 years back. Sat right in the front and got used as a demo dummy for several techniques by mister Dillman. Things hurt a lot and there were some good, hands on stuff that made senses. Basically the Chinese medical points were used as reference because they were a bridge between the martial technique and the anatomical reason things worked. Nerves near the surface, branching, ending, riding on bone or at the head of muscles etc. I think Dillman was just getting into the whole idea of "no touch" and "energy manipulation". After that, I think things kinda spun out of control. Once you start talking about that sort of thing you have to go all in, or get out of the game I suppose.

Now kyoshu stuff is nice. It's a layer. An aspect. A component. It's not a full fighting method. There are about half a dozen points that I work with because the targets do things regardless. Others that I know about and can get to in a pinch, but they aren't as reliable and don't have much impact if you target them on their own. They aren't bonus points, they are all you get essentially and I don't trust that sort of technique. I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy in my karate. I like to body shift out of the way and deflect. Lock you in place and transition my weight into the attack both. Kyoshu is, in the words of one instructor, just a little octane boost. It won't run the motor (your martial art), but it can give you a little lift.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine