• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Olympic Karatedo?

Harkon72

Does the Olympics have a place for Karate?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Does the Olympics have a place for Karate?

• Yes
    • No

Maybe karate in olympics would backfire and make a more clear split with traditional karate. Now in some case people practise sports karate and think it's effective as self-defence.

IMHO that's probably what you'd see, like what happened with Taekwondo.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What else I see is that when a MA is on the worlds stage, that MA is deemed by the world as being more effective than those MA that aren't on the worlds stage. It's quite disheartening, imho.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 weeks later...

The IOC (International Olympic Committee) has a strong relationship with the WKF (World Karate Federation). If karate gets into the Olympics, it will likely be under them. The WKF is pushing hard for 2020, but they've been trying to get in for a long time.

Over the years, the WKF has been changing their kumite rules to be more Olympics friendly. For example, to make it easier to distinguish between competitors, one wears a red belt, gloves and shin guards, while the other wears blue.

For those of you in the USA, the USA-NKF is our branch of the WKF. In Japan, it's the JKF.

Next weekend, March 29-31, 2013, is one of the USA-NKF's biggest tournaments of the year, the USA Open. It's in Las Vegas at the Paris Hotel. This event hosts some of the best competitors from all over the world. Admission is pricey though.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

I looked at some of the kumite. I still think that it's not an easy job for the referees.

Also hitting that you first straighten your arm and then step inside the striking zone :-)

It's a children's game were you try to touch the other before the other does - is it called "tag"

You know...if nothing else, I suppose that it would possibly greatly enhance ones resume for having been in the Olympics, and even more so if one medals, preferably gold.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

You know...if nothing else, I suppose that it would possibly greatly enhance ones resume for having been in the Olympics, and even more so if one medals, preferably gold.

Yep - best of something is always a merit. I'd settle for being a coach.

That could be, but a bronze medal in judo didn't help Ronda Rousey at all--shortly after she won it at the Beijing Olympics she was homeless and living out of her car. It seems that Olympic medals only benefit you if you were able to get attention drawn to you while you were competing (Michael Phelps, Gabby Douglas, etc.). I just don't see karate being enough of a draw to really benefit the competitors after it is all over.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I just don't see karate being enough of a draw to really benefit the competitors after it is all over.

After watching the world championships from youtube I have to agree.

It's not fun to guess who is going to get a point - even the referees have different opinions.

Not a spectator sports - with current rules -

BUT I'd watch it ... and blame the referees for wrong calls:-)