• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Olympic Karatedo?

Harkon72

Does the Olympics have a place for Karate?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Does the Olympics have a place for Karate?

• Yes
    • No

Well, they have Judo, Fencing and Tae Kwon Do in the Olympics, so why not Karate?

I am of course Biased, but I think Ippon Jiu Kumite for the best of three bouts would be awesome!!

Thoughts Guys?

Look to the far mountain and see all.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am not particularly fond of the idea of Olympic karate for a couple reasons, although I understand where people are coming from with wanting karate to be an Olympic sport. There is a great deal of exposure to be had, and we could definitely use that momentum to help spread the art the way taekwondo and judo (the two most popular martial arts in the world) have done. This is a pretty controversial topic, so I won't go into great detail on my opinions here--I'll write up something for my blog instead--but I will give a brief overview of my thoughts.

I think that putting karate sparring into the Olympics doesn't make much sense because the non-martial-artist public can't tell the difference between it and taekwondo. I think that kata competition in the Olympics would promote showmanship and karate as a performance art rather than a practical martial art. If they could figure out a way to make effective karate an Olympic sport, I would be all for it, but I'm not sure how the would accomplish that.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I think that in Olympic should be a combat sport - like Tae Kwon Do and Karate BUT not excluding each other. Think of running: you don't have different sports for runners who train differently - it's the fastest who wins.

This should be true in combat sports too. You should have one class for only boxing, one class for hands and kicks and 1 - 2 for grappling/wrestling.

So it should not go by discipline but winning criteria. For Karate I'd use similar system as in fencing. Points come from registered hits or kicks.

I think there would be distinct differences between Olympic Tae Kwon Do and Karate, the scoring is different, the Karate scoring is almost like Judo, (Ippon, Wazari, Yuko) and Karateka don't wear all the protection that the Korean Kick-Fighters do. I think it's a good idea, but the debate has been going for some time.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

New rules should not be a copy of karate nor taekwondo nor kickboxing but make it possible for all to compete with in same criteria. If it's with protective gear, so be it.

Ofcourse this would mean that there would not be much relation with traditional karate and olymbic "karate"/ combat sports. BUT there a very many rules in karate competitions at the moment, too.

I don't think that mutual rules can be agreed on. It's politics. I just said that I think that would be the best option.

If it gets in I reckon you'll start seeing a greater split between martial art and martial sport. I know the Olympics is the Holy grail in terms of sports competition but is it worth it? Taekwondo grew in popularity because of it but Olympic Taekwondo isn't really a martial art anymore, it's martial sport.

FYI here's the Karate Olympic bid website: http://www.thekisontheway.com/

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I am not particularly fond of the idea of Olympic karate for a couple reasons, although I understand where people are coming from with wanting karate to be an Olympic sport....

I think that putting karate sparring into the Olympics doesn't make much sense because the non-martial-artist public can't tell the difference between it and taekwondo.

This. I get it, more exposure of the art is usually a good thing, but Wastelander is exactly right, no one but people like us could even tell the difference anyway. Fewer would care. And it would only air at 3 am in in every time zone in the world. It's hard enough to catch TKD or Judo now. Imagine trying to find that "other fighting" event on the schedule.

I love BJJ. I'd love to see it as an Olympic sport I guess, but in reality would anyone in the public care about the difference between it and judo? I'm not sure it's worth the exchange.

Same for karate.

Well, there's no more judo in the Olympics...and that's a crying shame.

I don't want karate on the Olympic stage because it will be cheapened because karate is for the karateka and not for an organization.

Imho!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Well, there's no more judo in the Olympics...and that's a crying shame.

I don't want karate on the Olympic stage because it will be cheapened because karate is for the karateka and not for an organization.

Imho!!

:)

I agree!I feel that if karate become an Olympic sport, it would get really watered down

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.

~ Bruce Lee

Maybe karate in olympics would backfire and make a more clear split with traditional karate. Now in some case people practise sports karate and think it's effective as self-defence. (It happened to me. I've always done sports karate, and my first experience in a fullcontact sparring in Han Mo Do was a learning experience. Opponent did not stop even though I landed perfect scoring hits.)

Ok. Olympics have not developed Judo to two different approaches- traditional vs sports, but Judo has had a competition element always.

I like BJJ because it's so clear. In judo you win by warnings that your opponent gets from being passive. In karate you win by what the referie sees. Also in boxing there is the same depate, but fencing in clear.