• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Home Study

Home study can be effective, but it's not easy and it can lead to bad habits.

I've done Gracie Combatives and my problem was to get a dedicated partner.

I think that one partner is not enough and some times would be nice to have a partner who knows more than you do.

I'd use time at home for drilling movement or building up physical condition.

I do what dvd:s with one hour lessons about BJJ - to try to understand the concepts, but rolling is when you learn. I'd say you can learn at home like Gracie garage - having 4 - 5 partners at your place and rolling few hours per day:-) Maybe 4 - 5 hours and it would be nice if the partners change now and then to get new moves.

(Real problem is that you don't get feedback when you are learning by your self. )

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Home study can be effective, but it's not easy and it can lead to bad habits.

I've done Gracie Combatives and my problem was to get a dedicated partner.

I think that one partner is not enough and some times would be nice to have a partner who knows more than you do.

I'd use time at home for drilling movement or building up physical condition.

I do what dvd:s with one hour lessons about BJJ - to try to understand the concepts, but rolling is when you learn. I'd say you can learn at home like Gracie garage - having 4 - 5 partners at your place and rolling few hours per day:-) Maybe 4 - 5 hours and it would be nice if the partners change now and then to get new moves.

(Real problem is that you don't get feedback when you are learning by your self. )

Yes it is!!

Training alone is...well...lonely, inasmuch, it's akin to taking a very long walk by yourself; no stimulus.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

One very accepted way to use youtube in martial arts training is to find the same technique from youtube that was taught in your class and compare the teaching. Just to understand that there might be differences - and to recall what was taught.

I did that the first year of my BJJ. I have to watch my playlist again:-)

Here is a question about home study - and it's for real. I'm planning to start learning Wing Chun, but next beginners class starts in August.

I've been doing different martial arts for 40 years, but never done a Chinese hard style. (Done some Tai Chi and Qigung)

Here is an basic instruction

Seems fairly simple and many moves resemble something I've done.

Should I start the basics on my own or wait for half a year?

(I know that my BJJ home training has taught me a lot, but also make some holes in my defense - I do cool moves, but fall in elementary mistakes. I think that problem will take care of it self with more rolling/sparing).

Do I start home study by following lessons on the link?

Here is a question about home study - and it's for real. I'm planning to start learning Wing Chun, but next beginners class starts in August.

I've been doing different martial arts for 40 years, but never done a Chinese hard style. (Done some Tai Chi and Qigung)

Here is an basic instruction

Seems fairly simple and many moves resemble something I've done.

(I know that my BJJ home training has taught me a lot, but also make some holes in my defense - I do cool moves, but fall in elementary mistakes. I think that problem will take care of it self with more rolling/sparing).

Oh you're going to hate my answers: That's going to be up to you.

However, I'll lend my opinions...

There's never a better time to start than RIGHT NOW!! Unless, other personal, as well as professional parameters dictate otherwise. Then, the time to start is when those parameters permit, not sooner and not later, just at the right time.

They always say that the best place to start is at the beginning, once the beginning is discovered. The links can be a very nice place to initiate the wanting's of said training/lessons, and then, through some searching and looking and finding, the other links begin to formulate a desired path in ones training.

Hopefully, this helps some.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Thanks sensei8, of course your answer helps.

My solution at the moment is to go to the club and watch their training and compare it to the lessons for the link. If the basics are similar, I'll start to practice the moves. If not I'll check some more tutorials.

You could give it a try. I think staying very basic for the time being would be most beneficial to you. Perhaps stay with a drill for a few weeks at a time before moving on. But in the end, its up to you. If you think you are tracking the concepts well enough, then you might decide otherwise.

Then again, waiting until August is really that far off, so that wouldn't be a bad idea, either. Then, after you start learning in class, use the videos to supplement what you've done in class.

I'll visit the club in three hours.

I'll go from the feeling I get there.

One good thing about leaving new studies to August is that there is a lot of things to study in the current disciplines I do:-)

I do understand that home studies are a double plaided sword - you can cut your self - too.

It is possible to learn from home with the right dvds i guess and that would be better than not learning anything but you really need a partner for your sparring. I know someone who learned from home and went to take a belt test to see where they fit in and they thought they would be a black belt and ended up a yellow!

Martial Arts is not just a hobby, Its a way of life!!!

Checked the club. No problems with the belt. They wear different color shirts:-)

I have to think about this, as the technique is different than I've previously learned - boxing or karate. Well, one karate style had similar features.

Striking to me was that every one did the techniques differently - not the same posture, stance, or hands or arms at similar places. Also movement had large variation.

This can mean that I did not know where to look - or most had sloppy technique.

I'll go with the notion that I did not understand where to look and I was missing the point.

One thing was good - their shirts did get darker during the lesson.