Home Study

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Results of those can be mixed. Try to meet with someone who knows the style from time to time so that they can make sure you aren't picking up any injurious bad habits. Prerecorded DVDs can't see that you're doing that funny THING with your ankle that you really shouldn't be doing.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

The feild of home study is litterally filled with DVD's and study courses that you can take from Tae Kwon Do to Tai Chi, from Judo to Kendo...but the one thing I think is Uber-important is to have a good training partner and to be realistic, if you are going to grow you need a guide till you get a to a specific level.

For ground work the gracie University and Gracie Barra groups are great, both have tapes you can use to learn and grow, you will need a partner and a plan to go to a local gym and work out. The best thing about the Barra group is that you dont grade via taped testing, you go down and meet a instructor and fom a bond, learn and over time you get your belt and know you earned it. You can get your blue and purple from the gracie accademy with out ever setting foot in a gracie gym.

As for striking arts, a partner and some tapes will go a long way but travel and train with other instructors a bit and you will learn a tone.

If you are stuck at home then tapes are okay but you can not learn from Solo training alone unless all you want to be good at is Kata.

Even monkeys fall from trees

I think home training can be done, but really should be the last option taken if you have others available. There will be good and bad programs out there, so do good research to find out which is which. Otherwise, seek a qualified instructor as near to you as possible to at least meet with periodically for evaluation.

I want to suggest you here that for home practising if you are willing to take interest to read books. So, Gracie jiu-jitsu books can be worth for you because, there is enough information in this book about Martial Art techniques specially about Brazilian jiu-jitsu, Japanese jiu-jitsu and other Martial Arts techniques programmes as well.

jiu-jitsu moves

Brazillian JuJuitsu is all about body relation. Like someone else said, as a reference its probably fine. Its like a chess match, you can't play alone THOUGH you can drill, and practice. I do not believe you can attain skill and grow.

Japanese jujustu, you also need a partner, same game, you will never know what it feels like to throw someone, let alone people of different sizes and shapes, you wont know the feeling of applying a joint lock, trust me, its different on everyone.

I think with some help, occasional mat time or private lessons, home study is possible in Karate or Tae kwon do. I practice my kata everyday at home, at the dojo, i get corrected, and practice, and practice and practice.

With jujutsu, i could memorize, do shadow technique, run through my goshen jutsu but its not the same.

Training Karate, I could actually improve and develop on my own.

good luck and excellent question

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

Home study is a difficult pie to enjoy. Why? Home study begs for the individual to be by themselves in every aspect of learning/training; especially effective feedback!!

How is the home study student going to know if what they're doing is positive/effective/correct without the instructor being right there live!!

Imho...

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I'm currently practicing the Gracie Combatives course at a Gracie Centre.

Their instructional dvds are amazingly good (the best I've ever seen) and I've seen evidence of people who have learnt using these alone and have excellent skills.

An equally dedicated training partner is essential though.

I'm currently practicing the Gracie Combatives course at a Gracie Centre.

Their instructional dvds are amazingly good (the best I've ever seen) and I've seen evidence of people who have learnt using these alone and have excellent skills.

An equally dedicated training partner is essential though.

Imho, it's a rarity. The more one on one with an instructor can't be denied; shouldn't be denied. The occasional one on one does help where corrections are vitally important in learning the most basic of techniques.

Imho!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!