• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

top takedowns for bjj

Well, I have trained in judo, not BJJ, but the BJJ people that I have grappled with have a tendency to grab me and pull guard or immediately shoot for double- or single-leg takedowns. When they don't get those, they tend to have a rather bent-over posture that lines them up perfectly for a side-step uchi-mata or a tai otoshi. As I said, though, I don't train in BJJ and I don't grapple with BJJ people on a regular basis, so take my advice on this with a grain of salt. If a side-step uchi-mata or a tai otoshi will work for you, then use it, and if not, don't :).

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Ushi mata would be

and tai otoshi but what is the side step?

Normally, when you do uchi-mata, your body is in front of the person you are throwing. When you do tai otoshi, your body is slightly to the side of the person you are throwing. A side-step uchi-mata is, basically, doing an uchi-mata from the same place you would do a tai otoshi. There is a little more to it than that when it comes to how you use your arms, but it works well on bent-over people. It should land you in their half-guard.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Well, I have trained in judo, not BJJ, but the BJJ people that I have grappled with have a tendency to grab me and pull guard or immediately shoot for double- or single-leg takedowns. When they don't get those, they tend to have a rather bent-over posture that lines them up perfectly for a side-step uchi-mata or a tai otoshi. As I said, though, I don't train in BJJ and I don't grapple with BJJ people on a regular basis, so take my advice on this with a grain of salt. If a side-step uchi-mata or a tai otoshi will work for you, then use it, and if not, don't :).

These are good options. I just finished refing a bjj tourney this weekend. Top 5 takedowns I witnessed:

1. Double Leg

2. Tai Otoshi

3. Duck under and spin down

4. Single Leg

5. Uchi mata

It was a good mix of judo moves and wrestling moves

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."