• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

top takedowns for bjj

What's your favorite take down or throw when standing in BJJ? I'm trying to figure out what to drill and find me some good starting techniques. How do you choose your move? Is it from your grips and opponents grips? Your posture and position related to your opponent? The way you move or the way your opponent moves?

I like the way Ribeiro has often two options for a technique and often also technique is trickered from partners action or reaction.

So how do you take your opponent down and what makes your move successful?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The choice of what to use takedown-wise is always dependent on several factors. Your preferences, their movement, what's working out as grips between the two of you, ect.

From a strictly BJJ perspective, tournaments and such, I can't offer much in the way of real opinion. Those who know me, know that I am a guard puller. That said, good takedown mechanics are still a must as often efforts to utilize takedowns are helpful in setting up your guard pull. Yes, I'm one of those guys.

That said, I have had real luck at work with a couple. Neither are very high-speed. But I'll argue fundimentals all day. First up, the standard body lock take down series from all directions. Very useful. Next, a double leg or variant. And last, an underhooking trip. All have been very helpful for landing me on top of offenders.

The difference often being: a) skill of the other guy and, b) the gi grips making it more difficult to execute shots and such.

Hi MasterPain,

what's your way of breaking the balance for uchi mata? Is there any difference on the grips comparing Judo and BJJ?

Those grips look good. An underhook can replace the collar grip for no gi.I like to step a bit deeper than he does. As far as breaking balance, I just feel it and don't really know how to explain it.

Just play with the throw in your randori and experiment.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

What's your favorite take down or throw when standing in BJJ? I'm trying to figure out what to drill and find me some good starting techniques. How do you choose your move? Is it from your grips and opponents grips? Your posture and position related to your opponent? The way you move or the way your opponent moves?

I like the way Ribeiro has often two options for a technique and often also technique is trickered from partners action or reaction.

Wow!!! This is a really loaded question!

Are we talking about fighting or competition? I ask because there's a big difference.

In competition EVERTHING about your takedown is grip fighting. If you can't get position, you can do your throw/takedown. Without a good gripset, you can't get position.

-In this regard I would pick a throw or two that you really seem to feel good with and drill it from as many grip sets as you can. This will broaden the usefulness of that technique for you. You would prefer to always establish your grips first while, simultaneously keeping your opponent from getting good grips on you.

In fighting, things can be different because there is striking involved. So getting tight to the opponent becomes of paramount importance to limit the power of the opponent's strikes. So find techniques that come off your clinching style.

Everything you do in regard to posture, the grips you take, the way you clinch should be based on how you want to throw.

Double and triple attacks are very important but will not become second nature until you've been doing them for quite a while. For now, really try to become expert a a few easy throws that you like.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Arm drag to Heimlich takedown. Or the simple tomoe nage (hip throw) simple & basic. All depends on what my opponent gives me standing up :)

Cheers !

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu black belt - Kodokan Judo 2nd Dan black belt - ITF TaeKwonDo black belt - Kyokushin Karate black belt - Shotokan Karate black belt - Kenpo Karate 4th Dan black belt - Yoshinkan Aikido brown belt

My question about take down is for bjj rolling (In class:-). I think people let you get grips easier in class than in competition.

I've drilled an arm drag to sumi gaeshi, but I have difficulties in getting close enough.

(Maybe I am just a little chicken - not bold enough.)

I have to look at the multiple grip thing. It sounds nice. Arm drag and heimlich might have the same problem as sumi gaeshi. I don't have a good enough arm drag? ( Can be fixed with practice and faster legs...)

Ribeiro combination is something like: 1) grip with leg hand from label and move your opponent with your body. A)if if you are sideways in open stance - pick up opponents front leg. B) if you are more in center, do a Ko uchi gari to front leg, but just trip him - no ashibarai and C) if he pushes you, do a dropdown seoi nage.

Here is a combination of three different takedowns related to opponents reaction or movements. (I have not tried them yet.)

• 3 weeks later...
I think when opponent reaches for a rappel so, quickly shoot single whiel across the body. So, it's an effective move for defense or attack and when opponent gets grip then try to use high collar grip under combos. This moves are top takedowns for BJJ.

Sorry - can't understand what you mean.