• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is your Favorite BJJ sweep?

My Favorite sweep would have to be between the scissor sweep, the harpoon sweep & the hip bump sweep !

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu black belt - Kodokan Judo 2nd Dan black belt - ITF TaeKwonDo black belt - Kyokushin Karate black belt - Shotokan Karate black belt - Kenpo Karate 4th Dan black belt - Yoshinkan Aikido brown belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hip bump and scissors have to be listed due to utility across time. It's almost impossible to talk about sweeps without looking at those two.

I personally like the elegance of the standard spider guard sweep well executed and a ball n chain kind of sweep from what we call a koala guard (I've heard it called sit up guard as well, but I know that too has multiple uses across lineages). I like these two because they play to my open guard game. Also because, like I said, I think that they are really beautiful in execution.

Hip bump and scissors have to be listed due to utility across time. It's almost impossible to talk about sweeps without looking at those two.

I like these and the flower sweep, but I'll take what I can get.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I like these and the flower sweep, but I'll take what I can get.

I really like the Clamp sweep (Kimura Defense from side control) also. And te pendulum sweep & the star sweep as well haha.

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu black belt - Kodokan Judo 2nd Dan black belt - ITF TaeKwonDo black belt - Kyokushin Karate black belt - Shotokan Karate black belt - Kenpo Karate 4th Dan black belt - Yoshinkan Aikido brown belt

I personally like the elegance of the standard spider guard sweep well executed and a ball n chain kind of sweep from what we call a koala guard (I've heard it called sit up guard as well, but I know that too has multiple uses across lineages). I like these two because they play to my open guard game. Also because, like I said, I think that they are really beautiful in execution.

The clamp sweep (Kimura Defense in side control) is pretty legit too. And the shaolin sweep. Did you ever hear of that one ?

Can't say that I have. I'm sure I've seen it, heck, maybe I even do it. But names are something that is so regional and specific to gym that it's almost impossible to assume any kind of standardization.

However, if it's what I'm thinking of, I agree that the kimura sweep from bottom side is pretty sweet. It's something that I hadn't done for the longest time, but has become pretty standard in my arsenal these days.

wonderful world of youtube has almost everything - so is there a link to shaolin or clamp?

Haha a lot of people say that YouTube has lots of techniques. But I have no clue. Just try typing "BJJ clamp sweep" or "BJJ Shaolin sweep" :)