• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What martial art do YOU prefer?

What martial do you prefer? Which art would you use/like to use in a self- Defense altercation? A grappling art or a straight up stand up art? I just want to hear different opinions from all you great artists out there :) In MY personal opinion I would use Gracie Jiu-Jitsu in a street self-Defense and TaeKwonDo if there would be more then 1 attacker :) I used a mixture of TaeKwonDo & Judo against 4 attackers that one and only time I got jumped. Not one scratch was on me

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu black belt - Kodokan Judo 2nd Dan black belt - ITF TaeKwonDo black belt - Kyokushin Karate black belt - Shotokan Karate black belt - Kenpo Karate 4th Dan black belt - Yoshinkan Aikido brown belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a traditional Karate stylist, so Okinawan Karatedo is my favorite. I have also studied Wing Chun Kung Fu and find that very useful as a complimentary style and ethos. We did a fair bit of grappling in both training styles, a great emphasis was made on local energy generation by the Kung Fu Sifu.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

I prefer Shotokan its the best okinawan karate ever and its used world wide 2nd ill prefer kenpo karate its very fast and useful

Edited by ShotokanMaster

I love Shotokan Karate Do and American Kenpo Karate

The one I do, obviously. =)

Different arts are intended for different things. Jujutsu was made for police, so its model is a situation where you are trying to take down one rogue element in a friendly environment without too much damage - a "drunk uncle" situation. Striking arts tend to be intended for situations where the environment has turned hostile.

It depends what your model encounter is, as well as what other considerations you need to deal with. That will be different for everyone, and people will also need to count for a range.

My choice of art, for instance, was partly because all of the self defense situations I had seen involved multiple attackers, and because my environment included extremely poor footing a lot of the time, to the extent that even a boxing stance was too unstable to count on. While more focused on strike and run, I have enough grappling tools to deal with a standard drunken uncle. So on the whole, i'm happy with it.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Hey all,

Just to lay this framework out, the phrasing of this thread is "what is your favorite?" rather than "what is best?" Please ensure to keep replies in that context. :) I appreciate it.

Thanks,

Patrick

Favorite, for me, has been the combination of things that I've wondered across over the years. Primarily, due to the nature of the job I'm in, I actually use a lot of BJJ. It accomplishes control and fits into law enforcement well.

I certainly appreciate the standing joint manipulation out of my initial arts, and a striking background has also been helpful.

It's just been the right fit for the right circumstances. The fact that I've had success makes that blend my favorite. However, I think that finding jiu jitsu was VERY helpful for me given the goals of LE.

I will concede, that this is a highly individual answer and all the intrinsic factors that make up an individual and the environment that they use those arts in make "favorite" a variable answer.

Favorite, for me, has been the combination of things that I've wondered across over the years. Primarily, due to the nature of the job I'm in, I actually use a lot of BJJ. It accomplishes control and fits into law enforcement well.

I certainly appreciate the standing joint manipulation out of my initial arts, and a striking background has also been helpful.

It's just been the right fit for the right circumstances. The fact that I've had success makes that blend my favorite. However, I think that finding jiu jitsu was VERY helpful for me given the goals of LE.

I will concede, that this is a highly individual answer and all the intrinsic factors that make up an individual and the environment that they use those arts in make "favorite" a variable answer.

Between the 10 arts I train in, I'd have to say its my Jiu-Jitsu game that's the most deadly & impressive.

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu black belt - Kodokan Judo 2nd Dan black belt - ITF TaeKwonDo black belt - Kyokushin Karate black belt - Shotokan Karate black belt - Kenpo Karate 4th Dan black belt - Yoshinkan Aikido brown belt

What ever works at the moment!! I'm not dependent as to what would be my favorite, and this includes, but isn't limited to Shindokan.

I'm equal in my favorites.

:D

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Between the 10 arts I train in, I'd have to say its my Jiu-Jitsu game that's the most deadly & impressive.

Goodness, do you even sleep?

I see you're a Kyokushin black belt. Who did you study under? Some good Kyokushin karateka in Canada.

I only practice Karate Shotokan, although in my opinion, its efectiveness is not the highest for a real situation combat: it gives you stamina, force and improves a lot your reflexes, but it focuses you on just a small subset of the available movements/strikes.

Besides, I think the positions are too low for a real-combat situation.

Anyway, since it is the only (for the moment) that I know, I would definitely use it: One simple Oitsuki at close range with full power could break any defense. And the same with one of the most powerful kick we have on Shotokan: the Yokogueri Kekomi with the full support of your hip. That would definitely throw back any agressor standing in front of you.