• advertisement_alt

Do you Carry a Kubotan?

Harkon72

Do you carry a Kubotan?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you carry a Kubotan?

• Yes
    • No

There has been great debate here in the UK about the legality of carrying and using a Kubotan, palm stick, or Yawara. I will not go down that road because it is a very gray area that is to the discretion of a Jury I believe. Just out of interest; does anyone carry one, or would admit to have used one for self defense?

Look to the far mountain and see all.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

We actually spent some time in my class a few years ago training with yawara and had one of our students make a pair for everyone in the class. I make sure I have one in each jacket pocket whenever I walk alone at night (it's legal where I am) and when I'm walking through dark or shady areas I keep my hands wrapped around them as I walk. At work I keep a heavy pen with me at all times (thinking about buying a tactical pen for next season). Not technically a weapon, but I'm required to have a pen with me anyway, and works the same if anyone ever tried to grab me.

I never carry one, despite the fact I think I have a couple floating around. I've spent so little time (like next to none) that I'm not certain it's a viable force multiplier for myself.

I'd be better off with the pen quite frankly. It's more intuitive in emergency application.

I'm not saying that they aren't useful, I just don't have the training to successfully deploy it. That's what any weapons use choice come from at it's core- is the individual wielding it trained to do so.

In April this year I will be attending a Kubotan course, I have never been on one before. It is given by a 7th Dan Master of Self Defense and Karate. I feel I can learn much, but as you say my forefist is my weapon of choice.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

I also don't carry one nor have I got one.

I think it's like some forposters said. If you don't know how to use it correctly then it's close do worthless.

So ATM I prefer to use my fists / body should I come in a situation where it's needed. :P

cheers

T3chnopsycho

1st Dan:

It's not the top but just the point where you start to understand the true size of what you're doing.

I use to carry one but I only did way back when it first came out because I thought, and still do, it was an effective weapon. It fit in great with our brand of Tuite.

I stopped carrying it around because I just hate things on my keychain other than keys.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I carry a kubotan with me at all times. Of course if I didn't I'd never get anywhere seeing as all my keys are on it.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.

~ Bruce Lee

I don't carry a kubotan but I do have a small maglight on a keychain. Never had to use it and aren't trained with it so it's largely useless to me.

FWIW you can get arrested and charged for carrying a kubotan in the UK if you intend for it to be used as a weapon.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius