• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

sparring question

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
When sprarring in a club setting, do you wear gum shields? If so, is this always or just sometimes, if so, when?

Always when free sparring. I don't want false teeth just yet!

Our club actually makes you sign a disclaimer if you don't want to wear one.

Also, (again in club) does sparring take place on mats (again, if sometimes, when)?

We don't have a permanent venue so don't bother getting out mats for normal free sparring. We will get them out when doing anything like takedowns and throws. Competitions more often than not take place on mats.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Never have in the over 13 years I've been doing TKD (our club is non-contact) but it sounds like a good idea...

We don't work out on mats, means we do have to take care when doing takedowns.

Edited by hammer

I do Karate and we spar "semi-contact" also we don't hit to the head except after a foot-sweep.

During sparring in training I don't wear a toothprotection only during the tournaments.

We always spar on mats.

Cheers

T3chnopsycho

1st Dan:

It's not the top but just the point where you start to understand the true size of what you're doing.

We spar with only head, shin, & arm pads. When we step (spar at 50% NO contact just shadow TKD) we don't use anything.

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu black belt - Kodokan Judo 2nd Dan black belt - ITF TaeKwonDo black belt - Kyokushin Karate black belt - Shotokan Karate black belt - Kenpo Karate 4th Dan black belt - Yoshinkan Aikido brown belt

• 6 months later...
When sprarring in a club setting, do you wear gum shields? If so, is this always or just sometimes, if so, when? Also, (again in club) does sparring take place on mats (again, if sometimes, when)?

many thanks

We wear mouthpieces for all sparring, even our point style tournament sparring. The better mouthpieces are designed not only to protect teeth, but to help prevent concussions because of the absorption through the back of the jaw.

All our sparring takes place on mats as well. While there is something to be said for realism and sparring on wood/concrete/carpet, it's just too wearing on the body for year after year, and the chance of incidental injury is much greater.

John

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player