• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

At what grade do you start Kumite?

Harkon72

My Sensei has told me tonight, "Now you are an intermediate grade you can start free sparring."

I have done one step sparring with this style, but now I am grading for my blue belt (5th Kyu) my Sensei will allow me to spar with the higher grades.

Is this common practice? Does everyone have to wait over a year before you get the mitts on?

I will be interested in the response to this. The advantages for me are that I have the control and the technique at this grade and my opponents are mature enough not to take mt head off!

Look to the far mountain and see all.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would say entirely depends on your style, and/or Sensei. I started Kumite around orange belt

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.

~ Bruce Lee

My instructor says we can spar, no matter what rank they are. When you are a white belt, he always asks you if you think you are ready to spar. If they say no then they wait until the next class we spar to see if they changed their minds. If they say yes, then of course they spar. I see several white belts that are really good.

Tang Soo Do - Red Belt (2nd GUP)

We have a requirement to spar once you get to 5th kyu, if I remember correctly, but we allow people to spar before that. It's a combination of whether sensei thinks they are ready and if they think they are ready, and they always have their first sparring match with a brown or black belt to acclimate them to the idea.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

From day one. With a focus on range control and maybe throwing and defending a jab. This is done with an experienced martial artist, to keep from degenerating into a wild windmill punching chaos.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

From day one. With a focus on range control and maybe throwing and defending a jab. This is done with an experienced martial artist, to keep from degenerating into a wild windmill punching chaos.

This. But MP and I come out of the same tradition. It's the environment I grew up in the arts in and how I've taught stand up since. Now that I'm primarily a jiu jitsu guy (there, I said it :) ) it's very true that the "free roll" or our version of sparring is key from almost the very start of your training and is important throughout your career.