• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

first competition

steviewaddy82

Hi guys.so i got the go ahead for my first open competion kumitr. In april. My nerves are starting already, i need to do it for my own confidence issues and to conquer my fear. Any advice will be greatly appreciated[/code]

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, I would like to say that entering the tournament takes a lot of courage. Remember it is not whether you win or lose. It is that you learned something from your experience. Keep a good spirit and have loud kiais because that is the important thing.

Good luck. :karate:

Tang Soo Do - Red Belt (2nd GUP)

Like FangPwnsAll said the most important thing isn't weather you win or lose but that you can gain experience from it.

What are you going to do? Kata or Kumite?

Anyway good luck :)

Cheers

T3chnopsycho

1st Dan:

It's not the top but just the point where you start to understand the true size of what you're doing.

This is merely your introduction to tournaments and you should think of it as such. If you look online...you'll see that there are many tournaments. Depending upon where you live there might be as many as one every month.

So as others have said...you are just looking to gain experience.

Yeah kumite and maybe both

Oh sorry i was a bit brain-afk xP you wrote it in the first post.

Well anyway for kumite one thing that decides probably a lot of fights is who can stay calmer. You will be fighting against guys with similar experience so just try to not lose your mind during the fight ;)

I don't know how your fighting goes (Point-fighting --> how many points?) well anyway even if you get hit don't get stirred up with the thought I need to make a point just stay calm and it will come from itself ;)

Cheers and good luck

T3chnopsycho

1st Dan:

It's not the top but just the point where you start to understand the true size of what you're doing.

Good luck! My first tournament was a blur - I was so nervous I don't remember much at all. I'm doing it again in a couple of weeks though, and hopefully this time I will be a bit more relaxed. Just do your best and learn from the experience.

The biggest thing, especially if it's your first time competing, is to relax and have fun. Biggest and best thing you can do for a positive experience. Don't over pressure yourself. Just go and check the box.

Enjoy the train up as well. Work hard, enjoy some extra gym time (and I strongly advise you start cutting your teeth on a training camp of sorts leading up to it), again, don't over pressure yourself. There's plenty of time for that once you've got the initial butterflies out of the way and decide that competition is for you.

Good luck, keep us posted.