• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My first lesson...

I just had my first lesson Jiu Jitsu, and it was way better then I expected it to be. I loved it. I am now officialy a white belt, just waiting for my suit (that thing is called a gi right? ) to arrive, together with the belt.

All I was allowed to do is practice falling with three other guys who were new to martial arts and do some basic moves to understand what Jiu Jitsu was about.

I have quite a diverse group, of about ten people. One brown belt, one blue belt, two yellow and a few white ones. Most of them will be one yellow or higher within a few weeks I reckon, since they all practiced Judo, Aikido or both a lot.

Man, I am so excited about the second lesson. A pity I only have one per week :) .

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

lol.

I know the feeling. I am hoping to have more lessons per week. But I dont want to offend my Sensei by going to other dojo's. Its only because like you sound Seth, just an egerness to learn.

I count myself very lucky in that I have one of the best teachers in the Aikido world. my class is mainly black belts, 3 whites and a few middle colours.

Make sure that you get the Ukemi (break falling) right, because you cant train with the advanced techniques until you can fall without breaking a leg.

Take Care

I have not yet been introduced to the names of all the techniques, locks and falls, but all I have been able to practice until thus far are a sort of rolling fall and some techniques on what to do when someone holds you by the shoulder. For example one was hitting the wrist of your opponent with the knife-side of one hand, holding the other one on top of the hand you hit with, and then step back. However, I should only use that if the other guy keeps on doing so. The first few times I should just push him away, or wave his hand off.

It is really cool to learn all about the 'mechanics of the body' as my sensei calls it. I just feel very new to all of this, since most of the people in my group have extensive background in Judo or Aikido (most of them hold a brown belt in Judo or even better). I am not very quick in picking everything up, so I will probably be not as fast in reaching the next belt as all of the others, but what counts for me is that I am learning to use my body better. I never thought I was able to dive over two people sitting crouched and break my fall by rolling over my head, but I was :).

Man, I love this sport :D.

What type of Jiu-Jitsu (Or JuJitsu, Jujutsu, whatever :-P let's not play semantics) are you taking? Kensai is right....breakfalling is one of the most important things you will ever learn. Good luck - IMHO being a white belt is great because you have an excuse to mess up and look great every time you win in sparring!

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

That is one way of looking at a white belt. I am just proud to be a white belt, to be involved in Jiu Jitsu. I have actually no clue what type it is, and I still need to figure out my Sensei's rank. He has a black belt, but I am not sure about his Dan.

wow its been 9 almost 10 months since my first lesson but i still remember the feeling. well done with your rolling breakfalls!

what style do you study?

you can find out what dan your sensei is by looking at the stripes on his belt.

Break falling to not get hurt and rolling out of moves in grappling is veryy importent. Do not let your ego get in the way or you will get hurt. Also allways tap out when you feel pain. :o I hope you have a good time in your ju jitsu classes :karate:

I am training for myself not anyone else.. to be the best I can be in everything.

Seth,

Im glad to hear that you like ju jitsu - the breakfalling is compulsory for the first couple of lessons - it helps you not to hurt yourself when doing the throws and lock techniques.

They are also fun *dives on massive blue mat and does a rolling breakfall*

Wait till you get to yellow belt (like me) everything seems to open up to you. More variety is good :D

Anthony Bullock

1st Dan Black Belt - Shotokan Karate

5th Kyu Yellow Belt - Aiki-Jutsu

https://www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon

I kind of like the break-falling. Makes me feel all flexible, which I definitely am not.

By the way, what does the kyu stand for?