• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Best traditional Karate in PA or DE

Phalanx

I'm brand new here so please forgive me if I miss something before my first post. I'm looking for the best traditional Okinawan Karate dojo that I can find within a 30 mile radius of Newark Delaware. I have no preference in style whatsoever. The problem with this area, as I'm sure with many others, is that Karate is seen as something kids do, and the martial arts programs around here reflect that belief.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello Phalanx,

I don't know how many members (if any) we have from Delaware, but according to Google you do not have any Okinawan karate schools in your area:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=newark%2C+de+martial+arts

There are, however, other martial arts available to you. I notice that there are a couple places that teach kickboxing, although that isn't a particularly "traditional" art like karate would be, as well as a couple places that teach kenpo, and a couple that teach Taekwondo or Tang Soo Do, both of which are related to Japanese karate (Shotokan). I highly suggest that you visit some of the schools in your area and get information on the school itself, the style, and the instructor, and also get a feel for how the classes are. The style is not nearly as important as the instructor and the atmosphere of the school, when all is said and done.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

About 5 years ago, we knew of a Zentokukai dojo somewhere near Bear, Delaware (right by you!). It's not listed on Zentokukai's current dojo list, so I'm not sure if it's still there. You might try contacting the organization to see what they know. They list 7 dojos in Pennsylvania, some of which look like they might be in your radius (Chester & West Chester). Here's a link to their website. Good luck!

http://www.zentokukai.com/

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

Excellent lead JohnASE. There is a Zentokukai dojo located close enough to me that was kind of under the radar. Sounds like an excellent school with good organizational history. I'm going to check it out on Tuesday and hopefully if everything looks good, sign up.

Zentokukai is a great group--check out One Minute Bunkai on YouTube and you will see Sensei Lemus demonstrating some of the basic kata applications of their system. Good find!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society