• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Agility and balance help in sparring

RAM18

Hi there,

I'm 7th Kyu in Wado Ryu and i have a Karate competition coming up and I really feel with my sparring i struggle to move quick enough, my legs especially with foot guards feel like they are in syrup which means I find it hard to blitz forward to close the gap or change the angle.

Does anyone have any good training tips or advice to help me get my weight/balance better and legs more agile or is this something I'm just going to have to learn over time?

That which does not kill us, must have missed us.

- Miowara Tomoka

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Make sure your stance has fairly even weight distribution and keep enough bend in your knees to be mobile. When training solo, drill footwork while imagining an opponent to hold range against. Most of all, spar more if you can. Learning to anticipate where you need to be in the immediate future is more important than actual speed.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Shadow box. (watch yourself move in front of a mirror) Don't fight flat footed. Increase endurance through cardio type exercise. Use music in your training and try to match your "bouncing" to the beat. (please note you are not "bouncing" straight up and down but rather forward and backwards and inch or so and you aren't really getting air under your feet.

Lots and lots of footwork drills. Either shadow boxing or with some sort of target (heavy bag or otherwise). And practice loads.

Good luck for your tournament :)

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

All good advise. Also, practice with your gear on when you do, from time to time. The added weight and girth will help you get used to moving with it on.

When you spar the only parts of your feet that should touch the floor is the ball of the foot. It is difficult in the beginning to keep your balance that way but you are actually much faster ;)

Maybe try to do some exercises that increase your leg power and balance. Not sure if it is the correct English term. But the lunge would be a good exercise to do that.

And last but not least spar as often as you can. In the end it's the only way you can get used to sparring. And with the time you get the feeling of how you need to position your body so you can move quick. ;)

Maybe another advice: Look at your body as one piece and not as (like my Sensei says) a bag of bones. What I mean is if you want to move during a spar and you think oh yes let's punch and just move your upper body foreward but your hip actually goes back you lose balance and speed.

Of course it's a bit different in every style but I think this is a basic thing you should keep in mind :)

Cheers

T3chnopsycho

1st Dan:

It's not the top but just the point where you start to understand the true size of what you're doing.

Thanks guys!

That helped a lot. Managed to get 3rd in the tournament! :)

Great nice one :D Glad I could help :)

Keep it up

Cheers

T3chnopsycho

1st Dan:

It's not the top but just the point where you start to understand the true size of what you're doing.