• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Effective karate techniques

Cobra Kai

Well, I miss here the "Yokogeri Kekomi" chudan or yodan, since I see this as an effective and safe way to deal with almost any kind of frontal attack: it serves as a pre-emptive attack and defense at the same time, exposing only your feet (usually covered by shoes, which gives you another layer of protection). I really find it difficult to surpass a barrier like this.

Besides, it has an interesting dissuasive effect, showing your oponent that your are ready for combat and so finishing the fight before starts.

If however the fight starts, then I suppose I would rely on tsukis and some sweep.

Regards

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Very difficult to answer.

First it should be something you can do really well. It can be almost anything, but you have to be able to do it.

You need to do it at the correct time.

And surprise your opponent.

For me most effective techniques would be some kind of assibarai and running?

(Or if I don't feel like running, I'd do a pin, armlock or some kind of hold... from various grappling techniques of wadoryu :-)

Very difficult to answer.

First it should be something you can do really well. It can be almost anything, but you have to be able to do it.

You need to do it at the correct time.

And surprise your opponent.

For me most effective techniques would be some kind of assibarai and running?

(Or if I don't feel like running, I'd do a pin, armlock or some kind of hold... from various grappling techniques of wadoryu :-)

Out of interest, what particular grappling technique from Wado-ryu?

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

Actually wadoryu has armlocks, wrist locks and pins, but these were not taught at our dojo.

We were more competition oriented.

here is a link:

http://www.wadoryu.org.uk/jujutsu.html

Ime, there aren't that many locks and pins in Wado-ryu.

If you practice Idori and Tanto-dori there are a handful more, however these are really used for teaching principles and oportunities rather than what I would consider effective for self defence.

Remembering of course that the Kihon Kumite, Idori and Tanto-dori within Wado comes from Shindo-yoshin ryu (in fact most of the idori is straight out of Tenjin Shinyo-ryu), so it wasn't really designed for todays streets.

Not saying it won't work, but there are probably more effecient / easier methods to employ.

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

For wado-ryu I can only say what our sensei taught. He showed us some wrist locks and arm lock that resemble jiu jitsu moves. Thise techniques were not in graduation requirements. This is about 35 years a go. It's difficult to say if techniques were imported from some other discipline. I do remember wado being closer to jiu jitsu in it's earlier days.

I've been doing multiple disciplines so I might be wrong.