• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hemp Gi

bassaiguy

There used t be a company called Earth Gi that made hemp gi. They seem to be out of business. There is a South African company called Gassho that apparently makes hemp karate gi. Anybody have experience with either company?

I have a hemp judo gi I picked up nearly twenty years ago that's still going strong (strangely it's only shrunk around the midsection) and I'd love to have a hemp karate gi.

Alternately, if anyone knows of a company that makes hemp fabric I'd be interested in the link.

Thanks.

"Honour, not honours." ~ Sir Richard Francis Burton

http://oronokarate.weebly.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
There used t be a company called Earth Gi that made hemp gi. They seem to be out of business. There is a South African company called Gassho that apparently makes hemp karate gi. Anybody have experience with either company?

I have a hemp judo gi I picked up nearly twenty years ago that's still going strong (strangely it's only shrunk around the midsection) and I'd love to have a hemp karate gi.

Alternately, if anyone knows of a company that makes hemp fabric I'd be interested in the link.

Thanks.

I had wanted an Earth Gi back in 2007 but couldn't afford it, and in 2008 I was able to get a hemp gi from Datsusara (made for BJJ but I used it for judo) and that one is still going strong. About 2 years ago I decided that I could afford to finally get my hemp karate gi, but by then Earth Gi was out of business, so I ended up contacting someone on Etsy to make one for me. The person who made it makes a lot of clothing items, had good reviews and claimed to be a martial artist, but he used the wrong hemp fabric (a very soft hemp linen instead of the 14oz hemp canvas I requested) and he didn't reinforce the lapel at all.

I have never heard of Gassho, but I really appreciate you posting about it! I would love to replace my floppy, flimsy hemp gi (which is still plenty durable and isn't showing any wear-and-tear, despite being abused) with one that looks nicer and is made of heavier fabric. I think I will send them a message and see what it would cost to buy just the top of their heavyweight hemp karate gi and have it shipped here, and I'll have to ask what the difference is between the "Karate Standard" and the "Karate Tokaido" versions.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society