• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question regarding my introduction to Ashihara

TheMarvel

For information purposes, I reside in Miami, FL.

I messaged the AKI directed by Kaicho Hoosain Narker about Ashihara dojos down here in Miami. He told me there were none, and that I should look into their online training courses(I would prefer a more hands-on approach, studying directly with a sensei in the same vicinity). After a few conversations, our messages were forwared to Shihan Tony Martinez up in Homestead.

I began speaking to him, and I told him that I have been out of karate for a while now. The last time I practiced karate was when I was 13/14. I reached 1st Dan Black Belt in Shotokan Karate, but I have not trained since due to personal reasons. After some personal information regarding myself and my interests in getting back into karate, I told him about my interest in training Ashihara.

I was informed that he does not do classes out of a dojo. I wanted to get a bit more information regarding that - how everything works, what he does, price of classes, etc.

This is what he said in response back to me -

"I'm the technical adviser for Ashihara Karate, I only work with black belts to introduce Ashihara Karate, I normally just have a person come to my home and I run an evaluation session to determine the level of experience and technique. I normally work with improving technique and yes we look inside the technique (Bunkai) with out that aspect the training is useless.

I no not charge anything which gives me the right to refuse to train an individual. Write back if you are interested."

I have yet to respond back to him. I need some guidance. What should I do? I am interested in learning Ashihara, but there are no dojos down here where I live, and I would prefer hands-on than training online. Any help?

I mean, I might be overthinking this, but it sounds to me like he doesn't offer "classes", but probably just some technique learning/training, etc. I was really interested in learning fully, going from rank to rank, etc. Get the full experience of training Ashihara. But do I really need to take full classes? I need some guidance.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First of all, I'd like to welcome you to KarateForums!!

Imho...

Take him at his offer. The only thing you'll lose is the time it'll take for the evaluation and the like.

As far as on-line VS at the dojo, I'm a firm believer that nothing's better than live training at the dojo and that's because immediate feedback is tantamount in ones training.

Do what you feel is right for you...live or on-line.

Good luck and please let us know how the evaluation went!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Welcome!

I'm a bit confused. You don't want to do online (I understand that) but you're hesitant to train with this gentleman, why? The price is certainly a good one. Private lessons can be very pricey. I don't see why you wouldn't go.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Welcome!

I'm a bit confused. You don't want to do online (I understand that) but you're hesitant to train with this gentleman, why? The price is certainly a good one. Private lessons can be very pricey. I don't see why you wouldn't go.

My question simply implied that I was unsure exactly what he offered. Does he offer full-training, or am I going to go for one class, learn some techniques, and that's it?

Since my Shotokan dojo was from white to black, I was unsure what made his teaching style different. Will I still progress like that?

Welcome!

My question simply implied that I was unsure exactly what he offered. Does he offer full-training, or am I going to go for one class, learn some techniques, and that's it?

Since my Shotokan dojo was from white to black, I was unsure what made his teaching style different. Will I still progress like that?

It's hard to say. You're going to have to ask the source; that'll void any and all concerns.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I agree with Sensei8. No one here will know the intentions of the instructor. Go check it out would be my advice. At worst, you only get one lesson. At best, you get lots of private lessons.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Awesome another Ashihara Karateka on the forum.

I'm an independent Ashihara Dojo, I've met & trained with Kaicho Narker.

I'll help you as much as I can.

Best thing I can say is practice the Sabaki moves, 1-4 and be relaxed in everything you do.

There's quite a few Dojo's in the US, quite a few like me are independent, Kaicho is one of a few who trained as an Uchi Deshi with Ashihara Kancho himself.

OSU

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

For the original poster, would you like to respond so far the your responses

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)