• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

JKA...honest to god opinion

Dojo02

lets see how many goju ryu competitors have i beaten? i cant count that high. but how many of them fought out of front stance? ALLLLLLL OF them!??? yes thats right folks every goju guy or gal i ever fought fights out of a low stance. Shotokan/wado/goju/shi to all look the exact same when they fight go figure.

Did i mention they all have the same stances? who knew.

Goju Shika-dachi is usually done lower then shotokan kiba dachi too.

go figure.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:-? then why was my Sensei saying that the way they teach shotokan is wrong and not the style?

Who knows, one would certainly hope that he at least displays better grammar skills!

Unfortunately, there are many people in Martial Arts, as in any other endeavor, who "know best," and the rest of the world is wrong. Perhaps he has only seen poor shotokan? I've certainly seen poor Goju, poor Shito, poor Shoto, poor Shorin, etc.. in twenty-plus years of practice. I've seen even more good Goju, shoto, shito, shorin, etc...

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Hello all,

Don't your instructors tell you that the stances are designed to train your muscles, strengthen your legs, develop flexibility and depth in technique, so that if you do have to fight you can do so with greater strength, speed, and flexibility.

Of course people don't fight in zenkutsudachi or sanchin-dachi. That is just silly. The stances make your stronger so that you are head and shoulders above whatever clown is trying to clobber you.

Cheers to all.

Mark Groenewold

See how karate is done in Japan.

http://www.karatethejapaneseway.com

mark@karatethejapaneseway.com

Wasn't this more of an organizational type question? At least I thought so. Although I've trained in Shotokan, the school I was training at was under the JKA umbrella via Nishiyama Sensei. I actually never had any direct dealings in respects to the organization and it's policies and what not. I went strictly for the training and try not to get caught up in the politics.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

I won't go by god's opinion on this one, as I do not know his opinion.

JKA is an association(see what the letters stand for) of instructors who have and still do their own karate, promoting it in and out of Japan. As soon as a company, regardless what you call it, becomes officially recognized by a group of people, or a government, it sustains itself by a political agenda. Every organization, company, firm, or even family has the same feature. What is the problem with that?

Now, the fact that one hears that and the other, it's someone's opinion. People who have been members of the JKA, or trained at the JKA have different opinions., and their opinion is personal, whether shared by many, or just by a few. You just seem to incline more towards one opinion than the other. Horrible is a term more related to a fiction, or horror movie. What has that to do with the JKA?

More so, you seem to have heard that they were ignorant. Who isn't and towards what, or whom? What are you specifically talking about?

You are JKA, is not a proper statement, nor sense full sentence, in my opinion. If you are a member of a group related to the JKA, that is a different story. The JKA exists only in Japan. All other groups that are members of the JKA, do not and cannot represent the JKA at any political level, but do represent their karate style and standards. If any of the representatives of those groups do try and impose the JKA politics outside Japan, then they are definitely doing something wrong.

Understanding the reason for being the best makes you seem quite good at what you are doing, yet I must commit to disagreeing with your understanding if it is just about what you hear from others. Being the best require a comparison; what is yours?

Then you say 'we' have no character. Who is we? And if that 'honestly' includes you, is that a statement refered to the fact that you know all are like you, or you are like them all? Having no character is quite a harsh statement for one who is dilligently trying every time he trains(at least) to improve his character; I think that is one of the percepts of the JKA kun, isn't it!

I think that the best way to find out for yourself the truth(your truth) is to have a direct and personal experience with the JKA and its relevant members, or instructors.

Edited by chris