• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just wondering if anyone had information or a guide on how to fight bare knuckle boxing? I've been trying to learn about the techniques, how to fight differently with gloves and without gloves, ext.

I also found this, which I find neat.

It shows the similarites in techniques between Bare Knuckle boxing and Karate, which I find very neat.

http://shotokankarate-magpie.blogspot.com/2009/10/old-bare-knuckles-boxing-and-karate_15.html

Per Aspera Ad Astra

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I can add is the fact that rounds were shorter, less of them...and way less punches thrown than in regular boxing....not as many jabs as the risk of broken hands goes WAY up with bare knuckle boxing.

Even monkeys fall from trees

The only thing I can add is the fact that rounds were shorter, less of them...and way less punches thrown than in regular boxing....not as many jabs as the risk of broken hands goes WAY up with bare knuckle boxing.

Actually it sort of ran the opposite as to the number of rounds. Until the MQ rules became popular rounds were often of variable length with each lasting until a knock down was scored. Unless the fight had a predetermined number of rounds they lasted until a man was downed and couldn't come to the mark in the given time, most commonly one minute. Some famous fights went into the triple digits.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Actually it sort of ran the opposite as to the number of rounds. Until the MQ rules became popular rounds were often of variable length with each lasting until a knock down was scored. Unless the fight had a predetermined number of rounds they lasted until a man was downed and couldn't come to the mark in the given time, most commonly one minute. Some famous fights went into the triple digits.

I agree, us Kyokushin guys tend to fight without gloves and I've not known of anyone breaking their hands. We even do 100 man kumite and that's continuous as in no breaks

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I agree, us Kyokushin guys tend to fight without gloves and I've not known of anyone breaking their hands. We even do 100 man kumite and that's continuous as in no breaks

Punching to the head changes that, though. Bare knuckle Boxing wouldn't have had the number of head shots that we see in today's bouts. More body blows, and don't forget that throwing was allowed in bouts, as well.

I'm trying to learn the techniques of it, how it was faught...i think a lot of it would be applicable to today mma bouts prehapse? I see fighters fighting the way they do in the cage like they would if they're wearing big boxing gloves.

Per Aspera Ad Astra

Wearing a boxing glove you can hit harder, but with an MMA glove the contact area is smaller and there is not so much padding. I suppose it balances the damage you can do. In bare knuckle boxing if you have "good hands" you can hit hard surfaces and not damage them, many fighters wear hand wraps only; giving a hard fist that does't break the skin on contact. Sand bag conditioning and treating your skin in white spirit are other tactics, but they have their side-effects. I think MMA gloves are tried and tested to be the weapons of choice.

Look to the far mountain and see all.