• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Should Your Punch Remain In Line Of The Target At All Times?

Should your punch remain in line of the target at all times?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should your punch remain in line of the target at all times?

• Yes
    • No

I've only allowed only two answers because I believe that the answer should be voided of any uncertainties for the sake of our discussion. Maybe/depends, are for another time. Thank you!!

Study your opponent, study yourself, make a plan, carry your plan out.

These words mean everything to me, however, the opponent doesn't always make the idea seem plausible.

In any altercation, both opponents are in constant motion to one degree or another. Trying to achieve the advantage over the other in any way possible.

Shifting and the like doesn't always keep your opponent just where you want them at the time of execution. You punch, they bob and weave. You punch, they slip your punch. You punch, they move to one side or another. Doing whatever they can to evade your attacks.

So...when your opponent moves....

Should your punch remain in line of the target at all times?

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't think so. That's an advantage of using a vertical punch-- your punch can bob and weave around your opponent's defenses without losing as much power as a twisting punch would in a similar situation.

Highly effective strikes such as a hook and an uppercut are not always in line prior to throwing them.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I'm going on the "no" column for a couple of the reasons answered. First up, hooks and uppercuts are not often in line with their target thru their arc of travel. Next, you might start with one strike, and transition around some form of guard during flight.

I will also concur with straighblast, in that combination work is critical to success. In line means nothing if it's continually evaded.

I can't disagree there. If you see a straight line coming at you, a slight movement off line takes care of it. Speed, timing, and combinations like straightblast and tallgeese mentioned come into play.

Can the line, no matter its path to said target, change directions from its committed path, at the very last second?

Great input thus far...thank you all!!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Can the line, no matter its path to said target, change directions from its committed path, at the very last second?

Great input thus far...thank you all!!

I think this would be tough, without sacrificing power in the technique. Instead, I think making that hand work into a trap or as a feint for the next hand would be better.