• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My GREAT TKD experience.

As a counter to the post I see below...

I tried out a local TKD school today(only school that has classes during the day). He's actually someone I trained with as a kid(briefly) and he and I both trained under another guy named Marc McFann here. McFann is an instructor under Inosanto, Ajarn Chai, etc. This TKD instructor trained with him for 8 years to supplement his TKD.

As for his TKD rank, he's a 7th degree in the WTA(Anyone have info on this organization? I'm new to TKD and their politics). A real nice guy too.

Anyhow, the class was great. A lot of circuit conditioning mixed with TKD drills. Class was one hour. Afterwards people are free to stay and spar, work on belt requirements, etc. The more formal classes are held at night.

I watched the black belts spar to get a feel for it. It seems typical. Controlled, for the most part. Seemed more about learning than it did about hurting each other, which is something I like. After years of ring fighting I just came to the conclusion that a punch is a punch and a kick is a kick. Doesn't matter what style you do, fighting is pretty straight forward(No i'm not talking about fighting in a sanctioned event. Talking about years as a LEO.).

I enjoyed it and will be signing up on Thursday.

-James Cavin-

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That's cool to hear. I'm glad it was a good, positive experience for you. I believe the WTA is the World Taekwondo Association, and I think it may be an off-shoot of WTF stuff, but not for sure. An internet search didn't reveal much. Good luck with it and keep us posted!

The first form they do is chon ji. That would most likely make it an ITF offshoot, right?

That is the set that the ITF uses but there a lot of non-ITF groups who will also study them.

This the association? http://www.world-taekwondo.com

Seems to be affiliated with the Kukkiwon so WTF?

Anyway good luck with your TKD journey :) Glad you found a good school.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

The first form they do is chon ji. That would most likely make it an ITF offshoot, right?

That is the set that the ITF uses but there a lot of non-ITF groups who will also study them.

This the association? http://www.world-taekwondo.com

Seems to be affiliated with the Kukkiwon so WTF?

Anyway good luck with your TKD journey :) Glad you found a good school.

Seems we have a bit of a mystery here then. JCavin will have to keep us posted! :)

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys

Was just told about this Topic,

Just to answer a few things for you all.

James Cavin did not attend one of my schools,

The World Taekwondo Association - https://www.world-taekwondo.com

We are WTF Taekwondo but more Tradition based,

We re also from the Chung Do Kwan School of Taekwondo.

We are also members of the Hanminjok Hapkido Federation/ World Kido Federation,

Join us you'll be glad you did