• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sequence or move when doing kata

lowereastside

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I must admit that after years of drilling the same moves i try not to think, if i stop to think what comes next it tends to go a bit runny.

Personally I think of the first move and then hand it over to muscle memory and hope for the best lol!!

Time is an illusion.....lunchtime doubly so

when you're learning the shape of the kata you have to think about what you are doing next.

When you have it internalised you should be able to do the moves - without thinking!

That then gives rise to higher levels of training such as concentrating on combining seichusen (correct centre line) and embusen (performance line).

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

I believe it should come down to your bunkai.

If the sequence dictates the next movement be used for proper bunkai application, then yes, thought should certainly be given until it becomes second nature.

Kata is not always just a set of singular movements, often several steps will be strung together to achieve the "right" applications.

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

I agree with the 3 previous comments. When you first learn anything, you must actively think about what you're doing. Once you own the movements, the pattern and sequences should be automatic.

Now, I don't think of the pattern at all. I see the attacker for their respective sequence.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I learn in sequence combinations. So for me, understanding how one technique sets up the next is important in why the form is put together the way it is.

Should we think of the next sequence or movement when doing/performing kata - I figured I'll throw it out there.

At first! At first involves many parameters: having just learnt, is still learning, and is discovering [bunkai]. After that, muscle memory kicks in, and imho, that's not a bad thing because to much "thinking" about it all causes one to make a mountain out of a hill.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I dont think so we need to think when were doing our kata when your doing a kata you should already know the next step without thinking about it because you have to go with the flow you know in competition you dont think when its your time to perform the kata for your competition because if ya think your mine will go blank and you will forgot all the moves

I love Shotokan Karate Do and American Kenpo Karate