• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Enter the Doujeaux

I find the need to try to create this term in order to challenge rampant misuse of the term "McDojo" to describe studios that are anything but. McDojos are a subclass of "Bad school" that entraps students in financial support. Some of the schools out there are anything but bad, and some of them chose to charge what the market can bear for their quality product rather than eschew "nice things".

A "Doujeaux" (try saying "Dojo" with an exaggerated french-chef accent) is, therefore, a school with unusually high quality facilities, access to instructors, and instructor skill with a corresponding unusually high cost. I think we've seen a few; I hate seeing people use a derogatory term for a poor quality school to describe a good school.

Can anyone think of any examples?

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would say that many of the bjj academies out there can be placed into this category. More specifically, those run by the more famous practitioners. That said, I would love to be able to provide such a service. A large open training space, showers, locker rooms, reception and waiting areas. I say that kind of facility carries with it a higher cost. So paying more makes sense. More so if the instruction is of high quality.

The Gracie Academy in Trance, ca is a good example of this. It even contains a museum dedicated to the art's lineage.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I think that's a good way to make the distinction. Aren't some of the bigger-named MMA gyms expensive to train in, as well?

Yes, they are. It's all about location, facilities, and affiliation.

I'm sure training at Extreme Couture in Las Vegas is much more expensive than training at the average, local MMA gym.

I mean, really...look at his floor plan http://www.xtremecouturemma.com/GymTour.asp

I'm willing to bet those are larger and better kept facilities than 90% of the gyms around the world.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

That's FLOOR SPACE...WOW!! You know the prices are not low because you have to request prices on their supplied form.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Justice makes a really good point here. Too often the "McDojo" accusations start flying just due to cost. Even some of the more obnoxious advertising campaigns OFTEN, not always, used by McDojo's are perfectly acceptable if the product they are endorsing is quality.

I don't even really have a problem with certain schools labeled "McDojo" solely because they are no-contact, sport/ exercise places with no combative output--As long as they advertise as such.

I don't even really have a problem with certain schools labeled "McDojo" solely because they are no-contact, sport/ exercise places with no combative output--As long as they advertise as such.
There are no-contact, sport exercise places that aren't anywhere close to the definition of a McDojo, though. A health taiji studio isn't a McDojo - it is not trying to trap people in false expectations, and it isn't participating in belt inflation. People dont come out of 'taiji for exercise' class puffed up because they got a black belt after two years and are a lethal human weapon in spite of non-contact training with technical glitches.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

I think that's a good way to make the distinction. Aren't some of the bigger-named MMA gyms expensive to train in, as well?

Yes, they are. It's all about location, facilities, and affiliation.

I'm sure training at Extreme Couture in Las Vegas is much more expensive than training at the average, local MMA gym.

I mean, really...look at his floor plan http://www.xtremecouturemma.com/GymTour.asp

I'm willing to bet those are larger and better kept facilities than 90% of the gyms around the world.

I agree with you. That place is like an MA mansion! There is some truth to the adage of "you get what you pay for." Not always, but at times.