• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Was watching reruns of Human Weapon, and I came across the savate episode... was wondering if anyone had any training in this?

I'm not personaly impressed by the style, it looked like boxing combined with point karate, but i'm trying to keep and open mind.

Is there is any techniques that you've found to be effective?

one thing I did see, and we'd do a variation of in muay thai, is what they call the "chasse bas" which I think should be very effective in both full contact and street self defense.

Edited by chrissyp

Per Aspera Ad Astra

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, the kicks are unrelated to karate. If they were picked up anywhere, it's more likely they came out of African martial arts.

They do have some ideas that I like on studying the ways that you can use the structure of your footwear, which you are always wearing, for your strikes.

Looking at one of the other videos around, I recall seeing them practicing with something a bit like mea lua de compasso, which we have along with some other bits in their kicking methodology.

I also note that chasse bas looks like a textbook benção.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• 10 months later...

I've only recently had some exposure through some JKD contacts. There are groups of JKD that have embraced it quite a bit. It is a shoe based art, so when you look at foot position keep in mind that it's designed to be used while wearing footware, not like many arts where your toes or bare feet are making contact. So, when there is worry about the toe contact it's not the issue one might think. That's where some issues come from.

Bear in mind it is a kicking based art so of course the sport system is weighted towards kicks. It differs from point karate in a couple areas, one is contact, which can be heavy. Also, power generation and target areas are different.

Just for example, the back including kidneys is fair game. Because of this, there are certain strategic elements are fairly unique. A high percentage of the system is designed around the feint. So there are some really useful lessons to come out of its application.

I think it would be a fun one to learn. Its one of those more obscure styles, and I always think its fun to delve into the history and techniques of these styles.

I think some of the ideas and movements relate to that, because the fencing styles that were popular in France at the time would get used with Savate techniques. I don't think they have the same roots, but were just relevant at the same time and place.