• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Need combination ideas for Karate

hi there, wondering if anyone can help get me started in combinations I can help teach some kids for competition.

They're competing in traditional, AAU rules I think its called...was wondering whats some good solid combinations they can practice?

Also, what are good combinations to train for Knockdown Karate? I have muay thai experience, so i'm thinking a lot of what I'd do in thai would translate, just modify it without the head punches?

Per Aspera Ad Astra

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, the only Kyokushin types I deal with are the ones who post here, and they punch each other in the face on a regular basis when not in a competition.

Punching someone in the face is a bad idea that was created as an artifact of the change to gloves in Boxing, which has been a complete failure. Giving boxers gloves has caused a lot of deaths that were never there before. Faces are full of hard angular bones to damage hands.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

ATTACKING:

Front Sweep, Reverse punch

Front sweep, roundhouse using alternating legs

Front Sweep, roundhouse using same leg

Shuffle in range, reverse punch, shuffle out of range, take the angle, shuffle in range and reverse punch again.

Double leg sweep, reverse punch lunge punch

COUNTERS:

Step in to jam a kick (works with all kicks) and reverse punch

Take an angle and round house

Take an angle and side kick

As opponent steps forward: Front sweep, lunge punch, reverse punch

Those are just a few basics but very high percentage. Good luck

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Well, the only Kyokushin types I deal with are the ones who post here, and they punch each other in the face on a regular basis when not in a competition.

Punching someone in the face is a bad idea that was created as an artifact of the change to gloves in Boxing, which has been a complete failure. Giving boxers gloves has caused a lot of deaths that were never there before. Faces are full of hard angular bones to damage hands.

Do you really believe people aren't suppose to punch each other in the face because of hard bones? Every fight I've ever seen in real life has had people trained and untrained punching one another in the face. One time a kid in Jr High broke his hand. One time recently someone cut their hand on a tooth. A hundred times otherwise it has been fine.

Maybe someone who never lifted a weight in their life, never played a sport, and never worked outside is too weak to make a fist, but a fist is a natural part of our evolution. It isn't an artifact of gloves.

There are ways of punching that aren't really good due to gloves, like big overhand rights to the top of the head, but lots of punching is just fine. It is the same as kicking. Lots of kicking is fine but shin guards teach you to kick people in the elbows.

I have personally seen, repeatedly, recently, people get punched in the face out of anger and the fist goes undamaged.

Fights tend to resemble whatever the media has been showing. When the TV was showing cowboy shows where people would trade a few swings, then one guy was knocked down only to be picked up and dusted off by their friends, that tended to be how scuffles went. When everyone was watching boxing matches they looked like boxing matches. Now they look like MMA.

Bare-knuckle boxers rarely attacked the head; they focused on body blows. Bare-knuckle boxing had a distinct lack of fatalities. The guard was by the ribs.

Now boxers wear gloves, and hit each other in the head; boxers die or suffer permanent brain damage from repeated acceleration trauma, everyone adjusted their stances to raise their guards higher, and people break their hands on jaws and teeth.

People think it's "obvious" that that is the way to do it. Well, no, it isn't obvious. The idea that it never occurred to anyone to hit people *gasp* in the head until recently fails the laugh test. People were smart then just as now. Headhunting seems like more of a fashion thing than anything, and the fashion seemed to start right after a gladiatorial style that was widely viewed started outfitting fighters with massive foam shields to protect their hands from harm.

If our televised gladiatorial match of choice used open hand strikes and deep stances, you'd see people angrily lunge into deep stances with spinning palm strikes.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Awesome, is this a thread on sparring combinations or is it a thread on punching to the head?

I also teach head butts in my school, but to a Thai pad.

There's plenty of techniques to use, all I can say is "read your opponent" he will give you every space you want. Fight YOUR fight not his.

Consider every Kata you've practiced as a fighting combination and you will be fully armed

OSU

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Awesome, is this a thread on sparring combinations or is it a thread on punching to the head?

I also teach head butts in my school, but to a Thai pad.

There's plenty of techniques to use, all I can say is "read your opponent" he will give you every space you want. Fight YOUR fight not his.

Consider every Kata you've practiced as a fighting combination and you will be fully armed

OSU

Solid post!!

I believe that this thread is about sparring combinations. :P

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!