• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Techniques Hidden in Katas

vantheman

For example, one can't teach children how to break necks, so we teach them to do a spear hand instead; instead of a hammer fist to the back of the neck, it's an attack to the wrist to escape a hold; and so on and so on. When it comes to Kata, instructors often teach just enough to defend oneself. Not enough to kill.

Why? It makes no sense to me to lie about what you're supposed to be doing. Instead of dumbing it down for a child, why not tell them the truth. "Those particular portions of the kata represent techniques I don't feel should be taught to children, or even people I don't trust. For that reason, I don't teach that until you reach age X and rank Y."

Making something is disingenuous. How does that help anyone? I propose it doesn't.

Killing techniques aren't for everyone.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, there's nothing "hidden" within any kata. 'IT' just hasn't been experienced by any said practitioner of the MA. Hidden this and hidden that, to me, it's been there all of the time, just waiting for someone to see it and explore/examine it for its effectiveness, if it even exists at all.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I've just two words...Oyo and Shu Ha Ri

I agree with everyone here and agree, these 2 words and may I add Bunkai to the mix as I would place Bunkai before Oyo

OSU

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Kata is the foundation of karate. With so many moves that vary it is the building blocks of karate. New students are usually wanting to do kumite and reluctant to do kata, however the seasoned student eventually learns that kata is the life blood of karate. Kata can be done anywhere without a dojo mate, your kata is an expression of who you are, thus the word Art in martial arts. You express who you are, what you are and practice kata your whole life. Kumite comes and goes and when you finally get to a self discovery period in your life, one may understand that their kata is the source of most techniques. Kata helps in kumite, kata devils your character, kata evolves over time, meaning you get intimate with kata. Out of kata you may develop unique techniques that were birthed from your kata, this is where you may vary the individual techniques to certain applications, such as one on one sparring, drawing new or varied techniques from kata techniques. The reason we want the kata techniques within the kata to remain the same is proficiency. Practicing the same technique for years makes you proficient in the repetitive nature of karate. If you vary it in the kata, you rarely become proficient in it. Each instructor applies his own character and traits in their teaching along with those they have been taught. Thus again the art. My instructor in South Africa was tall, so I developed much from his teachings. My other instructors had their own characteristics, such as the "technician" Rick Hotton. His characteristics were on precise, to the point that he was very articulate, therefore we developed sharp techniques and attention to detail. Keep training, know that progress is there, even when you do not recognize it. Keep training. Do your katas, slow medium and explosive like. Watch, imitate, follow, train train train, then teach. "If you really want to learn something, begin to teach it". Be patient with yourself and those you teach, each person is at their own level and pace. SP, Sarasota, Florida. USA.

SP Sarasota/Bradenton Florida USA,

Train for life. Teach with passion and love.

It's so funny how things have progressed since I 1st started karate in the 1960's - you did kata just for the sake of doing it - no mention of hidden techniques - we did in my particular school a few punch kick block combinations - conditioning - some self-defense - and sparring ( brawling ) that did not look anything like the Katas. Its great how thinks have progressed.

Within kata based systems (not just martial arts) the pedagogy of Shu,ha,ri is key.

However, kata doesn't change - it can't as it is kata!?

More correctly:-

Shu=to Embrace the kata (and by Kata, it means kihon and all non Jiyu-kumite training drills)

Ha= to Diverge

Ri=to Discard

However this does not mean that YOU change Kata, forms or systems...

Rather, it means that by using drills and applications you have internalised methods and can perform outside of the box! ie you can react and perform instinctively - without having to think about it!

I've been training for best part of 30 years - and i'm no where near that!

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

I guess the moves aren't "hidden" per say, rather they are just waiting to be found and interpreted. The main point for all of this (in my opinion, at least) is to not overlook kata and assume they are just an old tradition from ancient arts.

I just get a little irritated when people think of (and sometimes perform) katas like they are just some organized flailing of the arms. Some people may just not have interest in performing katas, but this does not take away from their importance to many arts, and how they incorporate important techniques into the kata's movements.

Van

I guess the moves aren't "hidden" per say, rather they are just waiting to be found and interpreted. The main point for all of this (in my opinion, at least) is to not overlook kata and assume they are just an old tradition from ancient arts.

I just get a little irritated when people think of (and sometimes perform) katas like they are just some organized flailing of the arms. Some people may just not have interest in performing katas, but this does not take away from their importance to many arts, and how they incorporate important techniques into the kata's movements.

I agree, Kata should be performed with intent!

The difference between a martial artist and some one that just replicates the moves (not unlike a dancer) is intent!

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

Within kata based systems (not just martial arts) the pedagogy of Shu,ha,ri is key.

However, kata doesn't change - it can't as it is kata!?

More correctly:-

Shu=to Embrace the kata (and by Kata, it means kihon and all non Jiyu-kumite training drills)

Ha= to Diverge

Ri=to Discard

However this does not mean that YOU change Kata, forms or systems...

Rather, it means that by using drills and applications you have internalised methods and can perform outside of the box! ie you can react and perform instinctively - without having to think about it!

I've been training for best part of 30 years - and i'm no where near that!

K.

Solid post!!

**Proof is on the floor!!!