• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Team Kata Advice Please

blacknebula

Ah, team Kata. We have our competition in March the 9th. We'll be doing team Kata as well.

My advice is ALWAYS follow the person in front, meaning go at HIS/HER speed even if you're quick. Same goes for the person in front, if you're good at a kata don't go at a speed which the other students can't follow.

Consider each other and keep in mind that another student might not be as efficient as you.

Me and my team will be doing Heian Yondan.

"It's not the style that's important, it's the practitioner. No style is superior to the other if you practice and train hard, ANY style can be effective."

- Me!!!!!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Ah, team Kata. We have our competition in March the 9th. We'll be doing team Kata as well.

My advice is ALWAYS follow the person in front, meaning go at HIS/HER speed even if you're quick. Same goes for the person in front, if you're good at a kata don't go at a speed which the other students can't follow.

Consider each other and keep in mind that another student might not be as efficient as you.

Solid post and good luck in March; look forward in hearing your results!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

In my opinion, team kata is a great tool. Timing, dynamic fluid, zone specific training are all essential for the individual. I would place a brown belt in the center. Then I suggest you try heian sandan, yo dan or godan. You should have a coach train you, where they lead the training cadence. This does not necessarily mean the sensei, but an advanced student. Do the kata with purpose, meaning one step/move at a time. In other words, move one, easy, then a pause, second and a half, then next move, pause again... As you get more proficient the pauses get shorter. Another tool is to each person do the kata while the others watch, do this with each person. The kata becomes one when each person is connected to the other, you have to feel you dojo mates around you. Often times compensating for their timing. The secret is... Train train train. You never want to go in unprepared. Luck favors the prepared. Pick one kata and practice it daily by yourself and together weekly. March is enough time away to prepare. Mirror training is also a great idea. Now, the point person in the center should lead the silent cadence when performing, the other two follow the lead. Good luck to you and enjoy the journey more than winning anything. Training is where the prize truly lies. I am proud of you. Persevere! SP Sarasota, Florida USA.

SP Sarasota/Bradenton Florida USA,

Train for life. Teach with passion and love.

Solid post and good luck in March; look forward in hearing your results!!

:)

Oh thanks! :) I was in a rush when posting but yeah. I guess what I mean to say is, try to go at the leader's speed. Although really the student leading the team kata should talk to his fellow students and discuss things like who's quicker, who's slower etc and if necessary, try to go at a speed that accommodates that particular student.

Example let's say me, you and another student are going to do team Kata, and we are going to perform Heian Godan, now both me and you are efficient in this Kata, but the 3rd student cannot go at our speed. We would slow ourselves down to allow him to keep up.

My team and I are fairly quick, but if I'm in front I go not too fast but not too slow either.

"It's not the style that's important, it's the practitioner. No style is superior to the other if you practice and train hard, ANY style can be effective."

- Me!!!!!!!