• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your Assessment Please

For those who are becoming/are quite versed in grappling, please check out this video and give your honest assessment how they both did.

I think you'll appreciate the submission here.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ok, honest assessment.

TLDR version: She outplayed him at every turn and finished when she felt the opening.

The initial takedown from him was sloppy. He did not measure the distance and she simply sprawled and took his back.

He spent the entire rest of the match, even the parts where he was on top, defending against what she was doing to him.

When he finally managed to escape the rear mount, she got him in to her close guard and was able to disrupt his posture at will.

He attempted to defend the cross choke by fighting her hand off, but due to his balance being disrupted was unable to get rid of the first hand. Once that hand was in place and she was able to disrupt his posture it was only a matter of time until something bad happened to him. When she felt the opening she set the second hand in place and finished the choke.

Overall, a pretty good display of groundwork for lower level practitioners.

Think first, act second, and stop getting the two confused.

Ok, honest assessment.

TLDR version: She outplayed him at every turn and finished when she felt the opening.

The initial takedown from him was sloppy. He did not measure the distance and she simply sprawled and took his back.

He spent the entire rest of the match, even the parts where he was on top, defending against what she was doing to him.

When he finally managed to escape the rear mount, she got him in to her close guard and was able to disrupt his posture at will.

He attempted to defend the cross choke by fighting her hand off, but due to his balance being disrupted was unable to get rid of the first hand. Once that hand was in place and she was able to disrupt his posture it was only a matter of time until something bad happened to him. When she felt the opening she set the second hand in place and finished the choke.

Overall, a pretty good display of groundwork for lower level practitioners.

I agree. I do think he needs to work on his base and keeping his arms in better position in the guard. He was overextending and not keeping his elbows in tight enough. From her rear mount, I thought she was concentrating too much on getting her hooks in. Had she worked to get both hands hooked under his arms she may have been able to better secure position. I's all easy to criticize while I'm laying here petting the kitty, though. Not a bad match.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I agree with Tempest.

Young man:

- takdown attempt was from outside proper range

- Once he escaped the back, he let himself get sucked into the closed guard

- Poor posture inside the closed guard

- Improper attempt to remove the girl's hand from his neck

- Did not make an attempt to block the second hand from coming around.

Young Lady

- Decent sprawl.

- Overzealous on her attempt to take the back. Didn't secure good position and attempted to just jump on. Therefore she lost position

- Great job securing the closed guard.

- Great job dominating the opponent's posture

- Good job attacking the opponent's base in order to open him up for the choke. (She attempted to use her hips to drive him over to his back...hip bump sweep...this caused him to use his defending arm...right arm... to stop the sweep. Freed up her attacking arm...left arm... to secure the grip behind the neck)

There are a number of reasons that the young man lost, but the biggest was that he didn't follow the rules of guard passing:

1. Defend your neck!!!!!!!

2. Defend your limbs

3. Defend your base

4. Begin your pass

He should have allowed the sweep and prepared to escape to his left as he was being swept. At worst, this puts him in half guard, at best, he regains full guard. Either way, he's still alive to keep rolling. As it is, he gave up rule 1 and payed the price of it.

I also agree that it was a fun match to watch.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."