• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Important to you

To you, what is the most important part of your training?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. To you, what is the most important part of your training?

• Self Defense
    • Disipline
    • Camradarie
    • Learn a skill
    • Challenging
    • Physical Fitness
    • Stress Relief
    • Culture
    • Perfectiion of character

I picked physical fitness. All of those things are good. And learning a skill is a definite side effect. I have formed bonds of camraderie to. But the main reason I study MA is to hone my body. To stretch and push myself physically.

I believe a fit body helps keep a fit mind, and fit spirit. It's a little cheesey sounding, but it's working well for me :karate:

A warrior may choose pacifism, all others are condemned to it.

"Under the sky, under the heavens, there is but one family." -Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked self-defense. If I could have ranked them, I would have went with learn a skill 2nd, because I have always loved the physical challenges TKD has offered for me.

Alot of great responses here. Thanks for that. I enjoy reading the reasons for people training. Hopefully, we can get some more answers in. I'd like to see over 50 poll responses.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I picked camaraderie, but I think I could have picked "Culture" under a specific definition and meant the same thing.

I started as a Kenpo-ka, and switched to Aikido not because I wanted to add a grappling style (as if Aikido fits that definition, but whatever), but because I couldn't find an accessible Kenpo dojo. I added Taekwondo because it's a club at the university where I study. I would train in Fuzzybunny-do if it meant I got to practice some kind of athletic bodily practice with people who love doing the same thing.

You are bound to become a buddha if you practice.

If water drips long enough, even rocks wear through.

It is not true thick skulls cannot be pierced;

people just imagine their minds are hard.

~ Shih-wu

• 3 weeks later...
Self defense. Everything else I could get somewhere else.

But in such a fun package?

I take your point, but isn't there far more expeditious ways to defend yourself as well?

Interesting to see PS1's categorisation, as I would say the pursuit of learning a martial art is in fact, all of them (at some stage or another).

When you look at the headline results, it says that Self Defence wins (40% at the time of writing), but the other categories combined have the majority vote. In the majority of cases, it's a combination of these categories that will probably keep you alive longer.

I’d say on balance that was probably about right.

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

• 2 weeks later...

Also..., the "self defence" thing is always a bit of an emotive subject.

Sure, it gets people into the dojo - but I'd lay a pound to a penny that 99% of dojo around the world today do NOT teach very good self defence (even if they think they do)!

But fact is, we all become a bit institutionalised about these things as, your instructor was probably told by his instructor that what the group does is good self defence (of course it is its Karate!!) . That in itself doesn't make it so imo.

But, that doesn't mean it’s a rubbish martial art - as the pole suggests, the "other" reasons outside of SD are more important to most people anyway. I just think it falls upon school owners to be a little more brave and honest when it comes to their advertising.

If you run a good Karate school, Aikido school or Jujutsu school, be very proud it’s a good school. Don’t measure that against its ACTUAL self defence capacity – because it's probably rubbish.

K.

I had a significant wake up call with my Sensei a year ago. He treated me to a real self defense session, "Do some thing! You'll pass out in a few seconds!" were the words I remember along with the pain. Our Self Defense works with our Sensei testing you to the limit. I'm confident that it's worth while.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

I had a significant wake up call with my Sensei a year ago. He treated me to a real self defense session, "Do some thing! You'll pass out in a few seconds!" were the words I remember along with the pain. Our Self Defense works with our Sensei testing you to the limit. I'm confident that it's worth while.

Not seeking contention, but what makes you think that what your sensei put you under qualifies as pressure testing?

There are guys on this board that, as a result of their jobs, require an acute understanding of such things. In the most part, I'll bet that they pay homage to traditional ma, but they left it behind a fair while ago... They had to - because their lives depended on it.

If you are really serious about PURELY self defence read these....

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/self-defenseexplained.htm

I could also post some RBSD vids, but the language used in them is so profane and disgusting, that decorum prevents me from mentioning it here.

K.

For me self defense are the skills I need to prevent injury or death to myself or my loved ones in the community where I live. I have worked in the security industry and have 26 years experience of different martial arts. Most of the "Self Defense" techniques I have been taught previously are less than useless in a real situation. I have only been in a real situation outside the Dojo once in my life where my life was in danger. I am pleased to say that I had no lasting effect from it apart from the shame of having seriously hurt someone. In reality we don't live in the Wild West here in North Wales, firearms are almost unheard of. After a year training with Sensei Williams, my level of awareness of how effective our technique really is has increased greatly. I was very lucky during my brush with my attacker, my instinct took over. I have analysed my present mind set, my natural aggression and self preservation energy has been honed and harnessed into a calm confident mind. The pressure Sensei put me under was a wake up call that I am very grateful for.

Look to the far mountain and see all.