• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cross training - Complimentary or Contradictory

chunkymunky74

If its similar styles such as Shotokan, Shukokai (Shito Ryu) or Wado Ryu or even Kyokushin where the Kata practiced are virtually the same except for a few differences then I would say "Contradictory" as the differences would cause issues in the Kata as one would switch between styles during the Kata etc.

I'd agree with that. Also I think in a way it'd be a poor investment of your time. You'd end up having to constantly correct all the subtle differences back and forth and your progress in either style would be hindered because you'd confuse yourself. Probably ok if you wanted to create a hybrid style for yourself but even then, how many alternative ways do you need to kick and punch? IMHO better to invest that time into something that offers a different focus, like a grappling art, to cover the gaps in your current training.

I agree with some of this, but it is like this: I'm taking two styles at the same time. The first couple of weeks, I had some issues with the differences in the basics. It quickly got to the point where now I can switch back and forth between styles seamlessly. It just takes a lot of focus.

One thing to remember is "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." Don't bring the chamber to the inside like in one style when your instructor wants you to bring it up to the outside. I did that once and got yelled at. Never did it again, though.

I can see what you're saying. I tried to train in a 2nd type of TKD whilst at university; was very closely linked to my core style but different enough. I found it a nightmare. Certain techniques and movements I'd had ingrained in me were now "wrong" and it took a lot of conscious effort not to shift my weight in a certain way or to move how I'd previously moved. Then when I went to my original dojang I now had a ton of bad habits. My main point was is it really worth the effort? To quote Bruce Lee: "I fear not the man who has practiced a 1000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick a 1000 times". Would that time you spend undoing and then learning a new variant on the roundhouse with only minor differences be all that beneficial when you already have a good and functioning roundhouse which you could be improving?

I guess it depends on why you are cross-training but for most people it's usually to fill a gap in their training or to become more rounded. Picking up a style so close to what you're already training doesn't give you IMHO a good return on your time.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
If its similar styles such as Shotokan, Shukokai (Shito Ryu) or Wado Ryu or even Kyokushin where the Kata practiced are virtually the same except for a few differences then I would say "Contradictory" as the differences would cause issues in the Kata as one would switch between styles during the Kata etc.

I'd agree with that. Also I think in a way it'd be a poor investment of your time. You'd end up having to constantly correct all the subtle differences back and forth and your progress in either style would be hindered because you'd confuse yourself. Probably ok if you wanted to create a hybrid style for yourself but even then, how many alternative ways do you need to kick and punch? IMHO better to invest that time into something that offers a different focus, like a grappling art, to cover the gaps in your current training.

I agree with some of this, but it is like this: I'm taking two styles at the same time. The first couple of weeks, I had some issues with the differences in the basics. It quickly got to the point where now I can switch back and forth between styles seamlessly. It just takes a lot of focus.

One thing to remember is "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." Don't bring the chamber to the inside like in one style when your instructor wants you to bring it up to the outside. I did that once and got yelled at. Never did it again, though.

You would be the first person I have known to be able to do this successfully. I transitioned from one style to another, and know several others who have done the same, and that is difficult enough to keep straight. I know of a couple people who are trying to train more than one similar style at a time and they are still having issues nearly a year down the road--it's holding them back more than it's helping them, honestly.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Well, for most it is to fill the gaps in technique, like he said above. For me, I started shorin-ryu because it was more about killing someone attacking you. In my other style of Goju/Kempo Karate, there is a lot of point fighting, and pretty tournament practice.

"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence." -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

I would say until you have, 8-12 years decent exposure in one art do not consider seriously training another side by side.

And then choose one that is NOT similar technically, but consistent in say, mind set. Martial Sport or Martial Art is a significant element to consider.

Yours in karate,

Jim Neeter

https://www.shoshinkanuk.org

The biggest thing i've learned with cross training is this:

When learning a new art, try to learn the STYLE...learn the principles, the basics, the movements while doing it. Don't try to modify it with your art,with what you know while still learning it the basic of your new style.

That was my problem. I was trying to "muay thai-ize" my Shotokan, mostly cause of habbits, and what I knew is efficant.

As I started to understand Shotokan more, I started adapting to the style, it started to "click" and I stopped trying to adapt my style to it...my instructor taught me a good point:

There is nothing wrong with blending the two style, but you have to understand both styles, before you can combine them.

Per Aspera Ad Astra