• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cross training - Complimentary or Contradictory

chunkymunky74

Hi there

After being in the karate wilderness for several years (uni, jobs, wife, kids etc) i found a really great Shotokan club nearby where no#1 daughter and i can train together.

My Sensei has graciously allowed me to resume at the level i last trained at (2nd kyu) and i have been training for quite a while now As i approach black belt i was looking to look to broaden my horizons with another martial art, preferably one that i can develop my throws, locks and groundwork. Any suggestions people?

Cheers

Time is an illusion.....lunchtime doubly so

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Hi there

After being in the karate wilderness for several years (uni, jobs, wife, kids etc) i found a really great Shotokan club nearby where no#1 daughter and i can train together.

My Sensei has graciously allowed me to resume at the level i last trained at (2nd kyu) and i have been training for quite a while now As i approach black belt i was looking to look to broaden my horizons with another martial art, preferably one that i can develop my throws, locks and groundwork. Any suggestions people?

Cheers

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of cross-training! Since your profile says your area is Ashford and you said "uni" I assume you are in the UK? I believe judo is fairly popular in the UK, so you should be able to find a judo club in your area and there you can learn throws, locks, chokes and groundwork (although some instructors don't do much of it) to supplement your training. Karate and judo fit very well together, in my opinion, but I am biased since I train in karate and have cross-trained in judo. BJJ would also be great to train in, although it may have less of an emphasis on standing grappling and throws. Sambo is a great option, but I'm not sure how common that is in the UK.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Welcome to KF!!!!!!!!

Cross training - Complimentary or Contradictory

I sincerely believe that cross training is quite complimentary if approached properly across the board. If not approached properly, that's when cross training can be contradictory.

Look for MA styles that have their share of grappling and the like as Wastelander has suggested.

Please let us know how things are going.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Judo is ideal for Shotokan folks. There's no better way break balance than to incidentally run into them like a freight train. But take it easy during grip fighting. You need to constantly tell yourself that you're not attempting to pin his arms so that you can get a good punch in.

But take it easy during grip fighting. You need to constantly tell yourself that you're not attempting to pin his arms so that you can get a good punch in.

And remember to keep your stance narrower. My head judo instructor says he loves when karate guys first start judo because our natural wide stances make it easier to sweep our feet out from under us. My first week learning the basic grips, the instructor I was working with must have swept my feet out from under me a dozen times. Good way to learn...

Pretty much what everyone said is spot on. The UK is getting it's fair share of excellent BJJ black belts as well, so if ground work appeals to you defiantly check it out. You won't spend more time on the science of the ground fight that with BJJ.

I love the idea of cross training as no one system covers everything, and the striking arts need more ground work etc. One word of caution though, you are getting close to going for your black belt! You may want to wait until you pass your black belt test before taking on something else. The issue is trying to master one thing while learning another and there maybe some contradictory issues {stances, hand positioning, etc} that may confuse you.

If its similar styles such as Shotokan, Shukokai (Shito Ryu) or Wado Ryu or even Kyokushin where the Kata practiced are virtually the same except for a few differences then I would say "Contradictory" as the differences would cause issues in the Kata as one would switch between styles during the Kata etc.

If however it was a striking art mixed with a grappling art or say Tai Chi etc then I would say "Complementary"

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

If its similar styles such as Shotokan, Shukokai (Shito Ryu) or Wado Ryu or even Kyokushin where the Kata practiced are virtually the same except for a few differences then I would say "Contradictory" as the differences would cause issues in the Kata as one would switch between styles during the Kata etc.

I'd agree with that. Also I think in a way it'd be a poor investment of your time. You'd end up having to constantly correct all the subtle differences back and forth and your progress in either style would be hindered because you'd confuse yourself. Probably ok if you wanted to create a hybrid style for yourself but even then, how many alternative ways do you need to kick and punch? IMHO better to invest that time into something that offers a different focus, like a grappling art, to cover the gaps in your current training.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I'd agree with that. Also I think in a way it'd be a poor investment of your time. You'd end up having to constantly correct all the subtle differences back and forth and your progress in either style would be hindered because you'd confuse yourself. Probably ok if you wanted to create a hybrid style for yourself but even then, how many alternative ways do you need to kick and punch? IMHO better to invest that time into something that offers a different focus, like a grappling art, to cover the gaps in your current training.

I agree with some of this, but it is like this: I'm taking two styles at the same time. The first couple of weeks, I had some issues with the differences in the basics. It quickly got to the point where now I can switch back and forth between styles seamlessly. It just takes a lot of focus.

One thing to remember is "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." Don't bring the chamber to the inside like in one style when your instructor wants you to bring it up to the outside. I did that once and got yelled at. Never did it again, though.

"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence." -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle