• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Who's Who?

Hypothetically...

You wander inside of a MA school. No one's wearing any type of uniform. There's no identifiers anywhere or on anyone. There's no one barking any commands. Everyone's engaged in some type of drilling exercise. You sit down, and you just start observing everything. You're now thinking...ok...hhmmm...which one's the senior student and Teacher or Master?

Who's the Chief Instructor?

Who are the Sempai(s)?

Who are the Kohai(s)?

I mean, how can YOU tell who's who without waiting for the class to end??

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In our school, and this may be different in others, senior students have a responsibility to make corrections to juniors. Mostly because we spend a great deal of time at the first belt(1 year is typical) before promotion in order to get a grasp of the basics.

This allows even people with the yellow belt to make corrections because they should already be quite familiar.

Sensei is typically doing the same, only over most of the class. He occasionally leads an exercise while the "sempai" are making corrections.

-James Cavin-

The head coach is the one demonstrating technique to everyone. The person he's using to demonstrate it on is one of the senior students (usually the most senior on the mat). People that he is purposing putting others with are experienced students who can help the other (newer) people with drills. The guys moving smoother and slower than everyone else have been around a bit and the ones with wide eyes and the uncanny ability to make every movement difficult while holding their breath are the new guys.

The head coach is the one demonstrating technique to everyone. The person he's using to demonstrate it on is one of the senior students (usually the most senior on the mat). People that he is purposing putting others with are experienced students who can help the other (newer) people with drills. The guys moving smoother and slower than everyone else have been around a bit and the ones with wide eyes and the uncanny ability to make every movement difficult while holding their breath are the new guys.

Mostly this. The instructor is demoing all of the drills the first time through for the whole class. Usually with the co-instructor or the sempai. (PitbullJudoka and I run our dojo together) The instructors will be on the receiving end of drills fore more time than the sending end. Students will be paired senior/junior to work with each other.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Chief instructor - the one sitting patiently and quietly at the front observing for the most part, only chiming in when needed.

The sensai/sempai - the ones yelling instructions.

he kohai - the ones doing what they are told to do, and questioning different aspects of things.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

I'd look to see who appears to be getting asked the most questions, who is offering the most feedback or advise, or appears to be the most observant of the bunch. I think someone should stick out, for the most part. If all else fails, I just ask someone later who I talk to about class schedules.

Hypothetically...

You wander inside of a MA school. No one's wearing any type of uniform. There's no identifiers anywhere or on anyone. There's no one barking any commands. Everyone's engaged in some type of drilling exercise. You sit down, and you just start observing everything. You're now thinking...ok...hhmmm...which one's the senior student and Teacher or Master?

Who's the Chief Instructor?

Who are the Sempai(s)?

Who are the Kohai(s)?

I mean, how can YOU tell who's who without waiting for the class to end??

:)

I ask if I can play, too. I learn what I can from whoever I can, and say Thankee Sai.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I would look to see how people taught each other:

The Sensei/Chief Instructor is the one who practices with a partner and makes only a few corrections with only a few words--if even.

The senpai is the one standing there not practicing with his or her partner, and delivering a lecture on what the partner was doing wrong.

The kohai (I had to look that word up, I admit) are the ones who are both correcting each other.

My Aikido Sensei almost never speaks in class. I've had her come over to my partner and I, stick out her wrist, perform the technique, pause in one spot and look down at her foot, and then walk away without saying anything. Technique corrected.

You are bound to become a buddha if you practice.

If water drips long enough, even rocks wear through.

It is not true thick skulls cannot be pierced;

people just imagine their minds are hard.

~ Shih-wu

Our Sensei has his eyes everywhere, he can sense the mood and attitude of all in the class. Our Sempai have a duty for safety, they care for juniors but are still learning themselves. The Kohai watch the Sensei's every move, they listen for commands and mind the Sempai correcting them as they try to follow the Sensei's Direction.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

• 2 weeks later...

Chief Instructor are the Master instructor of the whole dojo he or she is the one its called shihan like 7th to 10th dan and he observes the sensies teaching and when his needed he comes in to teach the whole class and he has over 50 year experience

Sensie is the head instructor he or she teaches the senpais the kohais and the whole karatekas he is the one who shout loud and tell ya what to do and also to challenge you to do better in karate class and they are 5th dan and has 30 years of experience

Senpai are 1st dan to 3rd dan instructor and they are needed when the sensie is not there they are the one who teaches the kohais and the karatekas and he or she tells them what to do if the sensie is not there

The Kohai Kohai are like the Junior or 2nd from the senpai and their like karate prodigy they are from white to brown belt and they are the one who listens to the shihan Sensie and Senpais and they look up to them and to be one of them someday.

Karateka are the one who does karate and a beginner at karate 1st time experience 1st time in a karate class

I love Shotokan Karate Do and American Kenpo Karate