• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does karate training make work and home better?

I have been training in the martial arts for several decades and during that time a number of my fellow students and several sensei’s have discussed the ”transfer” of martial arts training to everyday work and personal encounters.

What does “transfer” mean? One sensei, who worked for IBM, told the story of how one day at work a co-worker was verbally attacking his project. Sensei said that his training in karate allowed him to stay calm, control his anger, and wait for his adversary to make a mistake and overplay his hand. Sensei then countered with spirit and controlled energy and won the day.

In other words the self-control, attitude and spirit one develops to handle physical attacks helps one deal with day to day verbal encounters more effectively.

So..if you want to respond to this topic, I ask if you can answer the following two questions as part of your post. I may use the answers for a book I’m writing but if I do I will not include names or other information that would identify anyone. I will, however, give credit to the forum.

1. Why do you practice karate?

2. Does the practice of karate in any way affect your behavior at work and in your personal life? if so, give me some examples of those effects. But please, don’t reveal any specific information such as names, places, etc. that could be harmful or embarrassing for someone.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, what I do isn't Karate. We spend a lot of time on our hands crawltumbling across the floor at high speed.

I had a student who was a diesel mechanic. A couple of months in, he called me up to thank me, because he no longer had any pain when he was crawling around underneath trucks. He had new ways to move that were comfortable and easy.

He also added that he'd been installing carpet in his house, and had managed to be the most productive person there. Our kicks extend our hips forward, and we use our core a lot for them; this was paying dividends as he installed a lot of carpeting without getting tired or exerting himself much.

I used to have to walk across ice a lot. I don't fear this anymore. "What if you fall?" Then i'll put my hands down with my elbows bent at a right angle and roll off of the ground and barely notice. I've done it before.

Someone gets in my face and starts getting angry at me. Deep breath in, drop the shoulders, hand near my face. My adrenaline level is now under control. I've had people try to swing things at me. I can deal with that. I have all sorts of ways to deal with someone trying to attack me. This guy is just barking at me like a yappy purse-dog. Seriously? Are you just going to stand there and posture at me for awhile? I suppose I can spare a couple of minutes, but can you make it quick? I have some work to do once we're done here.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

1. I practice martial arts as a way to be physically active. I also started training because I was tired of being scared all the time (of physical confrontations etc.) My motives have changed over the years, as now it's more about staying active and less about conflict. I am not afraid anymore, but I can't really say that came from just practicing martial arts (although it did play a part.)

2. The biggest way it has affected my work life is how I move. I have to walk a lot because I work at a large facility and it's necessary for me to move between different floors and areas constantly. I used to meander about and take elevators. Now I'm always full on power walking and always take the stairs.

Also solid post JusticeZero with the part about people getting in your face. I agree with you completely.

A warrior may choose pacifism, all others are condemned to it.

"Under the sky, under the heavens, there is but one family." -Bruce Lee

A couple of great questions.

As far as work goes, I do law enforcement for a living so there is an absolute direct correlation to training and work that has been helpful. The ability to bring hand to hand training into the dynamics of situations I've been in has been a great help to going hands on with people. In return, my work has let me pressure test the principles and tactics I've been trained on. It's win, win.

On a personal level, there's the confidence and self-determination that you take away from a long time associated with the arts that's helpful in seeing task thru and not being afraid to jump in the deep end of things.

I always find these questions about martial arts and behaviour difficult because I started training as a child and I grew up in TKD. TKD and martial arts were/are a massive part of my life growing up and TBH I'm not really sure what kind of a person I'd have become, what kind of attitude I would have had, without it.

But in answer to your questions:

1. I train TKD (I know you asked about Karate :P) to keep fit mainly, but I also love the depth to it and the fact it's something where you're always pushing yourself to do things you couldn't before. And I also love sport and competition side of it. I guess unlike most people, self defense is just an added bonus to me.

2. I think mainly, training has made me learn my limits, both mentally and physically, then to push them and not give up on things. Also a ton of confidence in myself because I know what I can and can't do and I've already put myself in positions far more challenging than I'd face on a normal day-to-day basis. So I think I'm more likely to put myself in uncomfortable situations or positions to achieve things. And in a sense I think the confidence thing also manifests itself in me being calmer than maybe I would have; I don't sweat the small stuff and get stressed out about things.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I've learned some patience over time in the Martial Arts. More so than actually learning, becoming a teacher, especially of children, has helped me learn more patience.

Its also affected the way I approach learning new things. Learning techniques in the Martial Arts requires a break down into component parts, and then getting all those parts right to get the whole technique down, nice and smooth. Whenever I learn something new, MA related or not, I often find myself breaking the process down, and building it in parts, like I would a new kick.

1. Why do you practice karate?

I began my MA training when I was 7 years old. I was being bullied quite a lot at school each and every day. My mom, after finding out what was going on, she enrolled me in the nearest local karate school immediately so that I could learn how to defend myself.

2. Does the practice of karate in any way affect your behavior at work and in your personal life? if so, give me some examples of those effects. But please, don’t reveal any specific information such as names, places, etc. that could be harmful or embarrassing for someone.

My behavior at work and in my personal life are not entirely from the practice of karate. No. Why? Because I've parents! Parents who raised me properly across the board. The ethos of Karate have taught me very important things that can be intertwined with what my parents instilled in me as well. Karate is a very, very important part of my life and I thank my Dai-Soke for teaching me everything that is and isn't part of Karate-do. However, to give karate more credit than it deserves in my personal and work life, is to ignore my parents and all that they did to raise me properly.

I'm now approaching my 49th year, and karate has made every difference in my life; personally as well as professionally. Karate affects my work in a big, big way. I'm Kaicho [President] of the Shindokan Hombu, and I've been teaching Shindokan Saitou-ryu well over 40 years. It's impossible to do what's required of me at the Hombu and/or in my own dojo day in and day out without being accountable to my students, as well as to the entire student body.

Karate affects my work because without karate I couldn't learn it, albeit, I couldn't teach it, nor could I be the Kaicho of our Hombu. I'd be doing something else, now wouldn't I.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

My behavior at work and in my personal life are not entirely from the practice of karate. No. Why? Because I've parents! Parents who raised me properly across the board. The ethos of Karate have taught me very important things that can be intertwined with what my parents instilled in me as well.

This is how I feel, as well. Most of my character traits come from my parents and faith. There is no doubt, however, that Martial Arts have reinforced those traits for me.

I am very grateful for the replies so far. You have raised some points I never thought of or perhaps I once knew but forgot. Some of these are:

1. Physical as well as mental transfer of training. Yes, I have benefited from that myself, especially the value of learning how to fall. I also think it has kept me free of back pain while so many of my co-workers have succumbed. I work at a computer all day like they do but I have better posture and I take breaks to stretch.

2. I see several stories about how martial art training helps people stay calm and control situations in a dignified and respectful way. It first surprised me that true martial artists were stronger adherents of non-violence than the untrained people I knew. But over time I realized why.

3. I see several stories of how the practice has given people more energy and drive. This was a big gain for me. I was calm already, no problem, but too calm – maybe sluggish. I credit my training towards helping me develop a spirit of endeavor.

4. Several people spoke of self-confidence and self-awareness (what you can and cannot do). Those were great. Also patience is mentioned and thoughtful analysis of learning.

5. Someone asked, I think, if I am going to teach these principles. No, I will never teach martial arts though I do practice it regularly. My interest in this topic does not stop with martial arts, however, as there are similar gains from other forms of mastery such as playing the violin. I do think, however, there are some gains from martial arts practice that no other form of mastery can provide.

6. A couple of people, I think, were concerned that I thought that some mental and personality qualities can only be gained through the martial arts. There are other factors such as faith and family. I assure you that I do not think that martial arts is essential to becoming a calm, controlled, respectful, confident, etc. human being. Some people have it all already and martial arts is just compatible with who they are. Some people train and get no benefit along these lines. But some of us, like myself, have some serious “flaws” that may be mitigated through this type of training. In my case, as I said above, the flaw was lack of spirit and the desire to set and attain goals.

Well, if I don’t see any more posts I will be happy with what I see. Thanks again.