• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Please advice - 1st time Kumite

odz224

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Its been around 15 years since I competed in semi, Knock Down and JuJutsu tournaments.

But a few things did me really proud in all formats,

1. Breath, lots of air!

2. take the first point, land the first significant hit, throw etc, the mental edge this brings is usual significant

3. Remember its a game, and always maintain a decent sportspersons attitude, tournaments have a habit of turning otherwise decent folk into proper idiots........

Ask yourself why your doing it, and prepare for it with a decent coach and training partners- otherwise just rock up and have a go, but don't expect the win, enjoy the day for what it is.

Yours in karate,

Jim Neeter

https://www.shoshinkanuk.org

Ask yourself why your doing it, and prepare for it with a decent coach and training partners- otherwise just rock up and have a go, but don't expect the win, enjoy the day for what it is.

Agreed. For me, it's the experience that counts. Just take it easy and train, spar to improve and better yourself. Victory will come.

"It's not the style that's important, it's the practitioner. No style is superior to the other if you practice and train hard, ANY style can be effective."

- Me!!!!!!!

I think we each need to decide- back when I did sports karate, winning was most important to me.

Part of the reason i stopped, I didn't always win and couldn't really see the point of it in relation to karate as i was beginning to understand.

I had some good coaches and training partners, which certainly helped me do well over the years.

Yours in karate,

Jim Neeter

https://www.shoshinkanuk.org

Wash and press your uniform. Bow to the judges. (Creates a good impression) As soon as the match starts, use your fastest clean technique to hammer the opponent. (makes people start off by interpreting you as the better fighter, and then they will be more focused on counting your hits than the other guy)

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• 4 weeks later...
Hi guys. Im definatly competing on april the 7th in kumite. The nerves are killing me. Whats the chances of me getting hurt? Its 90second fight light contact apparently

hi. I'm a newbie here although I've been on several Karate tournaments before. For me the most advice for Kumite is the aforism Zen: "forget the illusion of control".

You can (until certain point) control yourself, your techniques and so on, but against another person, there is always a point of uncertainty. This is why you must assume that and focus on do the best you can. In a points tournament the probability of being seriously injured is quite low, I think.

Just relax, trust your skills, be a good and respetuous player and try to win. Ah, and enjoy the experience!