• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Please advice - 1st time Kumite

odz224

Hi All,

After almost 1 year in Shito Ryu, today my sensei told me to enter my 1st kumite this April .. i'm so excited at the same time also nervous since i never enter any fighting tournament ..

To all Sempai or Kohai who experienced in kumite, or not, if you guys have any suggestion or any advice for me such as what should i train? or what kind of exercise can i do to build up my stamina? or any video / u-tube that can help me, please do so ...

Yuroshiku Onegaishimasu .. :karate: :karate: :karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Hi All,

After almost 1 year in Shito Ryu, today my sensei told me to enter my 1st kumite this April .. i'm so excited at the same time also nervous since i never enter any fighting tournament ..

To all Sempai or Kohai who experienced in kumite, or not, if you guys have any suggestion or any advice for me such as what should i train? or what kind of exercise can i do to build up my stamina? or any video / u-tube that can help me, please do so ...

Yuroshiku Onegaishimasu .. :karate: :karate: :karate:

Shadowboxing and bagwork would be a good idea, but I think the best thing you could do is spar a lot (make sure you go lighter the closer you get to the tournament so you don't injure yourself). How often do you spar at your dojo?

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Just train. Only experience and hard work will prepare you. Once you're there, you must trust in your training. Don't overthink it.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Just train. Only experience and hard work will prepare you. Once you're there, you must trust in your training. Don't overthink it.

Solid post!! Oh yeah...RELAX, and enjoy the experience.

Good luck, and please let us know how everything goes...you'll be fine.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

As was mentioned above, just keep training.

You're going to be incredibly nervous just before your match.

The good news? As soon as it starts you will completely forget about being nervous. The worst part is ALWAYS the waiting.

This is normal and it is your body's way of trying to protect itself. Every fighter gets nervous, even the professionals. But, they've done it enough to know that the fighting is easier than what you imagine beforehand.

Just stay the course and you'll be a much more confident and better martial artist afterwards.

Edited by JCavin

-James Cavin-

One more thing...don't run out of bounds. Shift anyway that you can so that you're not back peddling out of bounds. When you're blitzed, angle away so that you're not forced backwards and out of bounds. You lose points when you do and if you do it to often, you run the risk of being disqualified by the center judge.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!