• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata Blocks

sensei8

It is true that Karate is for defense, but if you are ever faced with danger, there is no dishonor in meeting your attacker with a strike. The reaction hand movement to a block can be seen as a strike - we call it "Hikate" is means literally "Under the Skin Hand" or "Hidden Hand", all Karate technique have them, interpret them as you will.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO - and this comes from my Kung Fu training - you have to attack the attack. The closer you get to your opponent - IMO - the Blocks become less useful - At close range - against someone with skill - very very difficult to get the Blocks off. Again it depends on whose throwing.

You need to block first because karate is self defense. You never initiate the first attack.

Typical misconception of "ni sente nashi". Just because you don't initiate the first attack (whatever action that might be), it doesn't mean you shouldn't or cannot strike first.

I agree, a preemptive strike or interception of an attack is valid and encouraged in Karate.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

My sensei says all blocks are strikes.

He always stresses that if you are blocking an arm, "punish that arm"

Your Sensei is absolutely correct. A "block" should end the attack, and if it doesn't, then the "block" was executed incorrectly.

This is true, there should never be a block that doesn't leave your opponent at a disadvantage. Apart from the famous Kenpo quote about blocking and striking being one of the same; leaving your opponent off balance, unable to react to a counter, or even having the fight finished with that block is what it is all about.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

• 3 weeks later...

I would have to say its because karate is for self defense only, therefore you start with a block to protect yourself from attack.

Martial Arts is not just a hobby, Its a way of life!!!

I would have to say its because karate is for self defense only, therefore you start with a block to protect yourself from attack.

Please expand more.