• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata Blocks

sensei8

One of MA most undying myth is that...All kata begin and end with blocking technique(s), and this myth is usually fueled by either the layperson or by MA practitioners who lack the knowledge/experience that one can only be gleaned by understanding the aspects of Bunkai and the like. Misinterpretation of kata movements has lent itself to falsely propagate that this myth has solid roots; that downward block in Heian Shodan's opening movement MUST be a block and nothing else.

:)

Darnit I thought we were playing a different game here lol

-James Cavin-

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on the Bunkai, for example; the first "Block" in Pinan Nidan in Shukokai is a Hammer Fist in Cat Stance. The reaction hand in executing this technique can be an initial block or grab or even a strike. The hammer fist its self can obviously be a block or a strike, or by its definition both. It all depends on the application. In this case it could be a grab to an aggressor's fingers or any other creative Bunkai that works. Here in lies the style and the fabric of your Karate.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

It depends on the Bunkai, for example; the first "Block" in Pinan Nidan in Shukokai is a Hammer Fist in Cat Stance. The reaction hand in executing this technique can be an initial block or grab or even a strike. The hammer fist its self can obviously be a block or a strike, or by its definition both. It all depends on the application. In this case it could be a grab to an aggressor's fingers or any other creative Bunkai that works. Here in lies the style and the fabric of your Karate.

Absolutely...Solid post!!

Against the misconceptions of karate, you cannot blame some sensei's for emphasizing the self-defense part of karate and impressing upon the public the non-aggressiveness of karate. Regardless of the reasons, it is a hidden fact that the kata we practice do not necessarily start and never end with uke waza. By knowing this, I hope that our mental attitude at the beginning and end of the kata would be amended, different from when we thought those techniques were only blocks.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

It's a fact - There is no attack in karate, only counter attack - To meet an attack, first you must block.

The problem here is that action is faster than reaction. So your block is always behind the attack. Not a good place to be.

I think the "there is no first strike in Karate" is one of the most misinterpreted and misunderstood maxims out there.

It's a fact - There is no attack in karate, only counter attack - To meet an attack, first you must block.

The problem here is that action is faster than reaction. So your block is always behind the attack. Not a good place to be.

I think the "there is no first strike in Karate" is one of the most misinterpreted and misunderstood maxims out there.

I concur!!

Karate ni sente nashi is the concept of Go no sen. This concept means that one would induce an opponent to make the first move, and then leverage that to win against an attacker/opponent. When compared to Sente hissho, [First attack guarantees victory] these two maxims seem to contradict each other.

Other concepts are...

In Go no sen, [initiation of Defense]; one deliberately waits for the attacker to attack first. Why? Baiting the attacker to make that certain move or attack that may not be his/her true wish, therefore, his/her attack will end up with a less effective or an uncommitted technique.

In Sen no sen, [initiation], one will attack appropriately just as soon as the attacker initiates his/her first move, therefore, he/she wins the altercation.

In Sen sen no sen, [superior Initiation], one senses the attackers desire to attack. Ones attack will happen just before that of his/her attackers intention, even though the attacker has not moved yet.

Out of these three tactics or concepts, Sen sen no sen is considered to be the highest level of skill. Therefore, Go no sen is much less supported than the other two.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Wow. I went philosophical with it and here everyone is answering based on actual bunkai--man, did I read that question wrong! :P

Good answers, everyone!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

IMHO, we should shy away from Absolutes such as "always."

The reason is that it's often not up to us to decide whether its a block or strike or just getting out of the way.

So the it's typical to receive "blocking" instructions when you're starting out. And it later becomes "striking" instructions when the movement have been added to muscle memory. So that a person understands all uses.

Counter attack often does not require a block. What if the attack is not a strike at all?

The first movement of the first kata/form is almost always a gedan barrai (low defend). So let us use that as an example.

What if the attack is someone grabbing your shoulder and pulling you from behind? To turn and perform a gedan kentsui (hammer fist to the groin) would be a great defense to this. So, in this respect, the gedan barrai isn't a gedan barrai at all. It's gedan kentsui.

What about evasion? It seems that proper tai sabaki (foot work) could be just as effective as any block. Often moreso, in my opinion.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I suppose the theory behind Jeet Kun Do illustrates this; the defender intercepts the attack, neutralizes the threat and deals with the attacker as he sees fit. In the speed of combat, there is little time for thought; but the instinctive reaction is to take a positive action in response to the attack.

Look to the far mountain and see all.