• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata Blocks

sensei8

Hard blocks work just fine when we don't have a choice but to use them or get hit hard...........

The key is to use them from natural hand positions as opposed to Kihon mode. But like all major karate techniques, they are very multi functional and can be used as strikes, locks, throws etc.

Yours in karate,

Jim Neeter

https://www.shoshinkanuk.org

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bringing the hand to the ear before a hard block, (in my opinion) is a wrist grab release wile the other hand punches. If it is in fact a parry, then it should be trained as a parry, like boxers do.

If my wrist is grabbed in eskrime this technique will release the grab with a stike counter, Karate Kata works well with weapons.

BTW the downward block would be a knee strike in eskrima or another weapon.

Regards

Enter-pressure-terminate

Here's a good example of what you guys are talking about (I think). Wish I could claim it as mine, but it is was posted on a private group I belong to.

Those are some interesting interpretations. Thanks for sharing the video. Whether those were old or new, they still are good for getting one thinking.

As for the chamber positions of blocks, we do a crossed arms chamber. It can also be a cover for a haymaker or other such shot thrown to the head.

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to this forum, but the question was asked "All kata starts with a block...Why?" Karate is defensive and therefore starts and ends defensively.

OBI Karate School of Virginia

5465 C Virginia Beach Blvd

Virginia Beach, Va 23462

Twiter: @obikarate ( http://www.twitter.com/obikarate )

It's a fact - There is no attack in karate, only counter attack - To meet an attack, first you must block.

The problem here is that action is faster than reaction. So your block is always behind the attack. Not a good place to be.

I think the "there is no first strike in Karate" is one of the most misinterpreted and misunderstood maxims out there.

I concur!!

Karate ni sente nashi is the concept of Go no sen. This concept means that one would induce an opponent to make the first move, and then leverage that to win against an attacker/opponent. When compared to Sente hissho, [First attack guarantees victory] these two maxims seem to contradict each other.

Other concepts are...

In Go no sen, [initiation of Defense]; one deliberately waits for the attacker to attack first. Why? Baiting the attacker to make that certain move or attack that may not be his/her true wish, therefore, his/her attack will end up with a less effective or an uncommitted technique.

In Sen no sen, [initiation], one will attack appropriately just as soon as the attacker initiates his/her first move, therefore, he/she wins the altercation.

In Sen sen no sen, [superior Initiation], one senses the attackers desire to attack. Ones attack will happen just before that of his/her attackers intention, even though the attacker has not moved yet.

Out of these three tactics or concepts, Sen sen no sen is considered to be the highest level of skill. Therefore, Go no sen is much less supported than the other two.

:)

wow nice post :D

Well basically you answered the question.

I got just one thing to add :)

Go no sen how I understand it means that you attack after you have been attacked. Clear the way you point it out makes sense but actually that is the basic principle of Karate. Karate like all MAs is for self defense.

The meaning is you don't attack with your Karate you only use it to defend yourself or someone else. So for me Go no sen is the concept in total that you use Karate after being attacked (for your self defense). The other two (sen no sen and sen sen no sen) are just different (more superior) ways how to react to and handle a threat. ;)

To the question of the threadposter.

A kata is a "shadowfight" so are basically doing a fight against imaginary opponents. But since Karate isn't meant to be used to just fight but actually to defend a kata would obviously start with a reaction to an attack. Mostly you react with a block because it's just natural to try and keep harm away from you. Afterwards follows an attack to neutralize the threat.

But even though, not all katas start with blocks. Which is because a more experienced martial artist can counterattack before the attacker has finished his attack (sen no sen) or even notice slightly before that he wants to attack and then start his attack to neutralize the opponent (sen sen no sen).

Still the initiation came from the attacker and not the martial artist. So still the philosophy of Karate: To use it to defend is held to. ;)

Sorry for the long post xP

Cheers

T3chnopsycho

1st Dan:

It's not the top but just the point where you start to understand the true size of what you're doing.