• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata Blocks

sensei8

It's a fact - There is no attack in karate, only counter attack - To meet an attack, first you must block.

I really think that this is a dangerous thought process. Aggressive attack is often the best "counter attack". If I see movement that indicates imminent threat, I attack. Why be behind in the decision making process? Is that a counter attack? Maybe, if you expand the common definition.

Bigger than just the attack/ counter attack line is the over emphasized aspect of "defense" that has gotten very prevalent in many martial circles. Bear in mind, I'm not talking about starting fights here, but the slow creep of the idea of "defending" that gets in ones head. I never want to defend.

I want to be ahead of the attack, either with an attack of my own or (ie. someone raises their hands and I get to double leg based on the articulation of their actions) or I escape. I want my mindset to live there. There's no "defending" it's attacking. I want the bad guy defending and realizing that he's not the predator in the situation.

It's an important mindset distinction. More than technique, this is where some arts have trouble making the transition from school to street.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never surrender initiative in a conflict. It's strategically and tactically a bad, bad idea. Taking the first action in a self defense situation is good. Once you are back on your heels, defending, it's a long climb back to neutrality. Let alone the dominance you need come out on top.

Kata may have "defensive" techniques as openers, but the fact is they are not always applied that way. Nor will you find may in the self defense field who don't advocate for the first strike when de-escalation and escape have been eliminated.

karate ni sente nashi

The aggressor has crossed the line with the first "strike" when threatening someone and not taking the chance to walk or back away when it was given. They made the decision. After that, it's time to put them on their butts and go.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

i'm new to shotokan, and i'm still undecided about the blocks (i come from a kickboxing/mma background)...have you used these block in a full contact situation? How effective are they?

I've never fought in Kyokushin style competition, but I have used blocks in self-defense situations, as ps1 said mostly as hammer-fist strikes or forearm smashes. Jodan age uke, for exmple, is a very basic block, but it can be used effectively against an opponent's jaw when they try for a tackle.

My advise to new students of Shotokan (even if they're not new to MA) is to practice the blocks as they have been given to us. The reason we repeat them in kata and gohon kumite so much is so we can apply them automatically when the need arises. Also, pressure test them a bit with your buddies in the dojo. A lot of students hate kihon kumite and think it's boring, but that's because they don't treat it as KUMITE and don't push each other. Once my students get to green belt I put a bit of pressure on them when we do kihon kumite.

"Honour, not honours." ~ Sir Richard Francis Burton

http://oronokarate.weebly.com

The aggressor has crossed the line with the first "strike" when threatening someone and not taking the chance to walk or back away when it was given. They made the decision. After that, it's time to put them on their butts and go.

Truth

"Honour, not honours." ~ Sir Richard Francis Burton

http://oronokarate.weebly.com

I believe that my question still remains...Why do kata's usually start with a "block"?

:idea:

The designers of kata assumed that you need more complex attacking options when your initial offense failed? That the aggressor actually got to fight back and thus you need to engage, usually starting with a counter or entanglement? Just as a guess there as I wasn't the one formulating the kata.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I'll bite.

My guess would be that every kata aims to automatically place you at a disadvantage from the beginning. One step behind.

If you are taught to fight always from a disadvantageous standpoint, well, that's an advantage.

-James Cavin-

Any time you're striking bareknucke, you flirting with the use of lethal force. Blocking allows a person to stop a fight without raising the level of violence to striking with possible lethal result.

For example I accidentally take a guys parking spot. He gets out and tries to punch me. I can pop him in the throat. Or I can apply a couple of hard blocks and bruise his arms up while apologizing to him.

One of MA most undying myth is that...All kata begin and end with blocking technique(s), and this myth is usually fueled by either the layperson or by MA practitioners who lack the knowledge/experience that one can only be gleaned by understanding the aspects of Bunkai and the like. Misinterpretation of kata movements has lent itself to falsely propagate that this myth has solid roots; that downward block in Heian Shodan's opening movement MUST be a block and nothing else.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!