• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Top 10 reasons to train jiu-jitsu/get better at jiu-jitsu

These actually apply to many martial arts. But I wrote them with jiu-jitsu in mind, so I'm putting them here.

Line of Sight on Your Weaknesses: In 1999, the Dunning-Kruger effect was introduced to the field of social psychology. In summary, this is the idea that people tend to overestimate their skills while underestimating the skills of others. Jiu-Jitsu does not allow for this. Because you are constantly testing your skill against others, over time, it is nearly impossible to believe yourself to be better than you really are. Your strengths and weaknesses are made apparent to you as well as the strengths and weaknesses of others. The ability to recognize and confront your weaknesses is character building, and enlightening.

Goal Setting: Because weaknesses are constantly being found, the ability to set goals to confront and overcome your weaknesses becomes ultimately important for growth in the art. Goal setting in Jiu-Jitsu is the only way to get better at jiu-jitsu. Further, because the goals are specific to your skill set, you will always get better as a result of achieving them.

Quiet Your Ego: In order to achieve your goals, which are ultimately grounded in your weaknesses, you must do things you are not good at doing. This means you will lose more often than you win until you achieve your goal. The only way to accomplish your goal is to quiet the ego; that innate desire to abandon what you’re doing and just do what it takes to win. Until you can quiet your ego, you will not achieve your goals. This is what holds most people back from getting good at Jiu-jitsu, as well as keeps them from getting ahead in life.

Importance of Detail: When you constantly confront people that are younger, stronger, faster, and bigger than you; or when you are constantly beaten by someone who is smaller and weaker than you. It quickly becomes apparent that physical prowess is not the deciding factor in winning. In Jiu-Jitsu, as in life, the devil is in the details. Learning to be a technical and detail oriented person will make you a more effective person both at jiu-jitsu and in real life situations.

See the Forest for the Trees: Because the details you learn to see stem from a broader goal, this means a person will learn to see that the small things you do, affect the big things that happen. Despite the fact that there are several details to learn for each move, the overall goal of the move is never lost and is, in fact, strengthened by the details put forth. Our lives can often become clouded with the monotony of day to day details. It is important to constantly remember those details strengthen and support us in many ways.

Achievement Comes in Many Forms: Winston Churchill once said, “Failure is not fatal, Success is not final, it’s the courage to continue that counts.” This rings true both in jiu-jitsu and in the grand scheme known as life. Failure to meet a goal enlightens us to our weaknesses. And being successful at a something does not indicate that the move or skill can not still be honed further. Like a diamond, perfection in Jiu-Jitsu is the product of constant pressure and time.

Go With the Flow: There are times in all our lives when things are truly beyond our control. This can either be a product of our own doing, or the product of others. Regardless, Jiu-jitsu combat has similar situations. If you chose to fight against those things you can not control, you will usually lose. Learning to go with the flow is very important if we want to succeed in Jiu-jitsu.

Spot Your Landing: As we go with the flow it’s important to constantly look for places where we can regain control of the situation. Finding a foothold and focusing on where you’re headed will allow you to spot your landing and come out ahead.

Stand Your Ground: It’s been said that if you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything. Understanding when you should stand your ground and when you should go with the flow is a constant struggle in Jiu-Jitsu. Different people move in different ways and the better you understand yourself and your situation, the better you can determine when and how to stand your ground and fight for your position.

Fun: While the prior 9 points are of extreme importance in getting good at jiu-jitsu and applying it to your life; having fun while you’re doing it will guarantee continued success and constant improvement. Whether it’s jiu-jitsu or improving the human condition, fun is the key to self-betterment, enduring struggle and pursuing your top level of achievement. I heard a professional fighter once say, “Jiu-jitsu is the most fun you can have without breaking the law.” I couldn’t have said it better myself.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I read in a forum about Belt Whipping as a right of passage for anyone gettting a Black belt

Is this true and what is the reason for it as for me I don't allow my students to throw theirs on the floor let alone whip someone with them

Thanks

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I read in a forum about Belt Whipping as a right of passage for anyone gettting a Black belt

Is this true and what is the reason for it as for me I don't allow my students to throw theirs on the floor let alone whip someone with them

Thanks

Some places do that. Why? I have no idea. We do not, nor does anyone I've met (alot of high level BJJers). But I've certainly seen it on videos. I don't see the point of flogging one another.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Thanks

I've been in a couple of different schools. My first pure BJJ school didn't do them. The school I train at now does the belt gauntlet for every belt promotion (but not stripes). I've seen other schools use them, and likewise been visiting plenty that didn't. It's one of those rituals that's around some places but not others. The reason? Who knows, it's just one of those things that caught in some lineages somewhere.

Bear in mind in regards on how students treat their belts, in grappling arts, particularly BJJ, the belt is almost always on the ground already. Typically, there's much less formality in BJJ than traditional oriental arts. A belt gets left on one spot on the mat by it's owner routinely while a match continues to roll somewhere else. I've seen them thrown over pull up bars for pulling up on, ect. Granted, as with all things, the tolerance for informality with the belt depends local to local. But the trend I've observed is a real difference in formality about such things.

These actually apply to many martial arts. But I wrote them with jiu-jitsu in mind, so I'm putting them here.

Line of Sight on Your Weaknesses: In 1999, the Dunning-Kruger effect was introduced to the field of social psychology. In summary, this is the idea that people tend to overestimate their skills while underestimating the skills of others. Jiu-Jitsu does not allow for this. Because you are constantly testing your skill against others, over time, it is nearly impossible to believe yourself to be better than you really are. Your strengths and weaknesses are made apparent to you as well as the strengths and weaknesses of others. The ability to recognize and confront your weaknesses is character building, and enlightening.

Goal Setting: Because weaknesses are constantly being found, the ability to set goals to confront and overcome your weaknesses becomes ultimately important for growth in the art. Goal setting in Jiu-Jitsu is the only way to get better at jiu-jitsu. Further, because the goals are specific to your skill set, you will always get better as a result of achieving them.

Quiet Your Ego: In order to achieve your goals, which are ultimately grounded in your weaknesses, you must do things you are not good at doing. This means you will lose more often than you win until you achieve your goal. The only way to accomplish your goal is to quiet the ego; that innate desire to abandon what you’re doing and just do what it takes to win. Until you can quiet your ego, you will not achieve your goals. This is what holds most people back from getting good at Jiu-jitsu, as well as keeps them from getting ahead in life.

Importance of Detail: When you constantly confront people that are younger, stronger, faster, and bigger than you; or when you are constantly beaten by someone who is smaller and weaker than you. It quickly becomes apparent that physical prowess is not the deciding factor in winning. In Jiu-Jitsu, as in life, the devil is in the details. Learning to be a technical and detail oriented person will make you a more effective person both at jiu-jitsu and in real life situations.

See the Forest for the Trees: Because the details you learn to see stem from a broader goal, this means a person will learn to see that the small things you do, affect the big things that happen. Despite the fact that there are several details to learn for each move, the overall goal of the move is never lost and is, in fact, strengthened by the details put forth. Our lives can often become clouded with the monotony of day to day details. It is important to constantly remember those details strengthen and support us in many ways.

Achievement Comes in Many Forms: Winston Churchill once said, “Failure is not fatal, Success is not final, it’s the courage to continue that counts.” This rings true both in jiu-jitsu and in the grand scheme known as life. Failure to meet a goal enlightens us to our weaknesses. And being successful at a something does not indicate that the move or skill can not still be honed further. Like a diamond, perfection in Jiu-Jitsu is the product of constant pressure and time.

Go With the Flow: There are times in all our lives when things are truly beyond our control. This can either be a product of our own doing, or the product of others. Regardless, Jiu-jitsu combat has similar situations. If you chose to fight against those things you can not control, you will usually lose. Learning to go with the flow is very important if we want to succeed in Jiu-jitsu.

Spot Your Landing: As we go with the flow it’s important to constantly look for places where we can regain control of the situation. Finding a foothold and focusing on where you’re headed will allow you to spot your landing and come out ahead.

Stand Your Ground: It’s been said that if you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything. Understanding when you should stand your ground and when you should go with the flow is a constant struggle in Jiu-Jitsu. Different people move in different ways and the better you understand yourself and your situation, the better you can determine when and how to stand your ground and fight for your position.

Fun: While the prior 9 points are of extreme importance in getting good at jiu-jitsu and applying it to your life; having fun while you’re doing it will guarantee continued success and constant improvement. Whether it’s jiu-jitsu or improving the human condition, fun is the key to self-betterment, enduring struggle and pursuing your top level of achievement. I heard a professional fighter once say, “Jiu-jitsu is the most fun you can have without breaking the law.” I couldn’t have said it better myself.

Solid post...very solid!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Thanks

It's true and you answered your own question...it's a right of passage. Some are smacked across their abdomen while others are punched in their abdomen while others are smacked and punched in their abdomen; going from the kyu ranks into the dan ranks. Kind of like a boy becoming a man.

Some throw the belt behind them as a sign that what was once is now behind them so that the new before them is their unpaved future; unfettered and untainted.

We don't do either!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...