• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Can Full Time Martial Arts Instructors Have Nice Things?

What do you call it if an instructor gives poor quality instruction, gives belts out like they mean nothing and has a very cheap monthly rate? Is that also a McDojo?

From that I would either conclude:

a) It fits the definition of a McDojo, but has some significant business/marketing issues

-or-

b) The instructor is just bad in general and has little idea to what he is doing

It could also be a combination of the two, and it isn't uncommon for the two to go hand-in-hand. In my opinion, the school helps fulfill the goals you have, (self defense, fitness, sport, demonstration, etc.) and does so without ripping you off, you are in a good situation. Also, having a knowledgable, good-charactered instructor is just as important.

Van

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple answer, yes as long as the style and quality doesn't suffer.

I used to sell double glazing. I began to see people as commission or £'s or $'s instead of people, I would sell to people who at times would end up struggling for 3-4 years after signing up to a financial agreement, but I was happy cause I got my commission, which I used to treat myself with. Strange, after giving that life up, I got nothing to show for it, I spent it as quick as I made it.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I am a direct student of an Okinawan Grandmaster. I have owned and operated a dojo, continuously, for over thirty years. Sensei taught me that running a dojo should not be anyone's main source of income; as this would influence the quality of their teaching.

I am a direct student of an Okinawan Grandmaster. I have owned and operated a dojo, continuously, for over thirty years. Sensei taught me that running a dojo should not be anyone's main source of income; as this would influence the quality of their teaching.

Running my own dojo and teaching for over 40 years, as well as running our styles' Hombu for many years hence, my quality of teaching hasn't been influenced in any shape, way, and/or form; this is my main source of income.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

6. Excessive number of belts that are added in specifically for the purpose of having more tests. For example: some places have a camouflage belt.

I have to take issue with this point. I was in the ATA, and the ATA has a camouflage belt. I think most people are more irritated that its not one of the "traditional" belt colors out there.

The ATA has a 9 belt system before reaching black belt status. Each rank has basics, forms, and one-steps to learn for the test. I don't think a 9 or 10 colored belt system is too out of hand now days, nor do I think that it would necessarily mean the school is a McDojo.

Fair enough, Brian. Keep in mind i did say that one or two of these things does not make a McDojo. I would agree that a 9 belt system is not excessive. However, there are ATA dojos that have far more than that. It just depends on the franchise owner.

I haven't seen many ATA schools lately, so I don't know what changes have been made. If they've added belt colors, I'm a bit shocked. My old instructor just got his 5th degree in the ATA, so I'll have to ask him a bit about it. If they have, then that's too bad. One of the good things about the ATA is that they aren't afraid to make changes and try different things. One of the bad things is that at times they don't leave well enough alone.

I also saw where you mentioned that 1 or 2 of your list wouldn't relegate a school to a McDojo. But, I also know the ATA gets a lot of the McDojo fingers pointed in their direction, too, and I don't know what other associations have a camouflage belt.

You may be shocked to see what they do. My friend, who is a BJJ purple at my instructor's school and a 5th degree ATA, teaches at his instructor's ATA school.

He tells me all the time he only does it for the extra money. They guarntee a rank promotion every 3 months. They have 18 belts before black belt. Basically, each of the 9 ranks has a belt that's half one color and half the next. They also give out stripes to each belt. The stripes are just pieces of electrical tape and the school charges the students $50 to "test" for them. The only contracts they offer are 1 and 3 years in length.

That's my experience with the ATA. But I'm understanding to the idea that it's a franchise. So the head of the association really has little or no control over what's done in the individual schools. The sad part is, this guy has 5 ATA schools in the area and his son has 2 of his own. Needless to say, he gives your association a horrible reputation in the area.

That's really too bad to hear. There are a lot of good things about the ATA, too. There are some good instructors out there, and some good Martial Artists out there, too. I don't like the idea of guaranteed rank promotions at all. If there is a guarantee, then its not a testing, in my book.

I you want to have nice things and make a lot of money, be a part time in the basement of the community club on Tuesdays kind of instructor. By being a full time instructor you are committing yourself to your martial art, and devoting your life to the martial art. You become a pilgrim of the art and must not charge exorbitant prices to pass it on to the next generation of fighters. By taking that step, be prepared o give up material goods. Or marry a lawyer.

Ready!!....FIREEEE!!!!... Aim...!!

Completely false. It only influences you if you are greedy. If you want to run an academy (dojo) as a business, you must do so without greed or ego. If a student doesn't like what I have to offer or the way I do things, I'm more than happy to refer them to a competitor. I am very comfortable with what I teach and how I teach it.

There are people who make a living panhandling. I think it's more than an honest living to teach a martial art.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think many have a problem with people who make a good living in martial arts, but many financially successful martial artists have had to make compromises or worse to be successful, and that's what people have a problem with. It's not that people are making money, it's that they're making money by selling an inferior product, possibly while making it look better by wrapping it up in fancy packaging. The consumer is paying for style, not substance, and for most KF members, it's all about substance.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com